Chapter 6

Sapphire's P.O.V.

I step back into the kitchen, clothes bathed in grass stains and dirt from Rhys and I's minor wrestling match. I approached the food I had left out, this time preparing my lunch without interruption.

Once I placed the sandwich on a plate, I sit on a stool and gobble it down hungrily. If I knew I was that hungry, I would've made something earlier! Just as I stood to chuck my plate in the sink and our myself a drink, I heard muffled voices from the front of the house.

Curious, I left my plate on the bench and travelled down the hall until I was insight of the front door and a certain someone blocking the view outside.

Rhys stood in the doorway, chatting away which was strange. Why, you ask? Well, we don't usually get guests coming over often if at all. Considering Rhys and I only had each other to interact with, we didn't have people from school coming over.

It was probably just a door knocker, selling another 'this will improve your life' product. Although something in my gut told me otherwise.

I tried to determine who Rhys was talking to from where I stood, but failed due to him. The way Rhys was standing, his frame blocked any sight of who was on the opposite end.

So, I did what any other person would do. I approached my brother with a nagging question.

"Rhys, who're you talking to?" I asked, poking him gently in the side, gaining his attention.

He scowled at me before moving out the way and gesturing to the boy on the doorstep.

"Your boyfriend," his facial changed to a smirk and I glanced at the figure.

Total and utter shock made me freeze. It was Mason. The boy who I had helped out earlier this morning. But, why was he here? Had he forgotten something? Although, when he came over he didn't have anything I knew of. So... Why had he returned?

"Mason?" I gasped. "Wh-what are you doing back here?"

Mason rubbed his neck and smiled wryly, "We need to talk."

Holy moly, this was crazy! Up until today, boys never even gave me a second glance. Not even the most geekiest of kids. Yet now, this guy (who was honestly mesmerizing) had visited my house twice and was now asking to speak with me?! Miracles can happen.

Before I could offer Mason into the house, Rhys stood in the way with crossed arms.

Uh-oh, I knew where this was going.

"About?" His cheeky, teasing personality had disappearing and he was now taking up the part of a protective brother. Sometimes, I wish he would let me deal with my own troubles, not saying this was a trouble but I think you get my drift.

"Rhys, please. If I need you, I'll call. Mason came to talk to me, not you," I pleaded, hoping he would just bugger off and leave me alone. I would've told him to bugger off but knowing him, he'd enjoy the entertainment of my frustration.

"But-" I held my palm up, stopping his excuse.

I gave him an icy glare and he rolled his eyes, holding his hands up in surrender. Giving Mason one last look, he hopped to the lounge, to what I suspect was to play COD.

Once Rhys was out of sight, out of mind, I turns back to Mason. "Sorry about my brother, he can be a bit... Protective, sometimes."