58| The 'Us' Card

"Hey." I whispered. I took a seat next to him. The only thing that comforted me was his steady breathing, proof that he was alive.

"You can't just do something like that and not tell me." I said to him, not knowing whether he was able to listen or not. I wished he could.

The sun was setting. It had been more than twenty-four hours since I had last heard Dani's voice, last looked into those soulful gray eyes that I loved so much.

"You gotta open those eyes again, you hear me?" I took his hand in mine. There was no way he was dying before he was at least 80.

"Don't be selfish. Think about me." I said jokingly. "You know I hate change. I think we'd all have to adjust to your death -if you die- and it won't be easy."

The last part came out in a whisper. Just two days ago, he had told me he loved me. Today was a total turn of events.

"Your mom's really worried about you." I continued. "The doctors have her on injections right now. So wake up, Dani. She would be so happy. You mean the world to her."

"Kevin, Liam, Claire, and Eli... they're all here too, worried."

I brought my hand to my neck and took off the shell. "Wake up for us." I placed the shell in his hand, and closed his fingers around it.

I placed a warm, lingering kiss on his forehead above all the bandages. "I love you, Dani."