40 | The Meet-Up

The way I saw it, we were always running away from something and finding safe haven elsewhere. This could be in the most unexpected places.

Like, for example, in a hospital.

Away from my own mother, with Dani and Amelia.

I had arrived there this morning, and Amelia and I talked about almost everything. For a sick person, she did have a lot of energy, and for a person with liver disease, she was quite optimistic about her situation.

She told me and Dani's dad, how they had met while she was working as a waitress over summer to pay off her college loans. He had come to America to meet his cousins, and ended up extending the stay because of her.

They had undoubtedly fallen in love over the summer, and she had moved with him to Spain and completed her last semester there.

After that, things only got better. They moved in together, and she had her first child. Dani's older brother was named Nathaniel.

She also told me about her favorite books, her hobbies, and what inspired her to paint.

Even though she was a talker, she was a fairly well listener too. She asked about my family- I told her there was nothing much to say- and school and the usual stuff.

Dani had come to pick me up, but I wasn't ready to budge.

"You've got to pack your things if you want to go on that trip." He said. I looked at the watch hanging above the T.V in Amelia's room.

We were all meeting up at Starbucks, which would be the pick-up point at twelve sharp.

Right now, it was half past eleven.

"There's plenty of time." I told him. Unlike last time, I had packed my bags early and they were waiting for me in my room.

I had told everybody about Catherine coming on the trip. Claire put up her side of the argument, before I pulled her in private and told her what had happened. She agreed after that, but was still sulky about it. Catherine coming was fine with Rosie and Kevin too, as long as she kept out of their way and didn't cause any trouble.

"Valencia." He said, drawing out my name dangerously. "If you don't get up this minute, I swear I'm not driving your ass all the way to-"

"Sheesh, I get it." I said, getting up hastily.

"Are you going to be okay?" He turned to his mother.

Amelia smiled. "I'll be right here when you get back." She pulled his hand and he leaned down before she kissed him on the cheek.

I wish I had a camera.

"Take your medicine on time." she said. "Don't get into any trouble. And for goodness's sake, you two, please remember to use condoms."

Blood rushed to my cheeks before I looked away, too startled to say anything. I heard Dani grumble something to his mom, but I couldn't quite catch it.

After saying goodbye, he led me to the parking lot and we both got into his car.

I fidgeted my fingers, internally debating whether I should ask him about his migraines. It was personal, but I already knew about it, so no damage done there.

"Are you doing okay?" I asked. "I mean, with the headaches and all?"

He looked at me like I had just suggested he jump off a cliff. However, he didn't say anything stupid. "Do I look sick to you?"

"Well, no." I sat there dumbfounded for a minute. "But migraines tend to re-occur, you know?"

"I do." He said as he reversed the car and exited out of the parking lot. I didn't say anything else, instead I sat there quietly, looking out of the window.