Chapter One

1. Friday Nights

Levi

The annoyance of my alarm woke me up from the fantasies of my dreams pulling me back to reality. I rolled over and pressed the off button and looked at the time. I got up from my bed and went to go take a shower. I then got dressed in ripped black jeans, a crop top, and print Nike roshe sneakers. I grabbed my keys, jacket, and phone and headed out the door. I walked towards the train station and hopped on the C train towards 42nd Street.

I moved to New York after I graduated high school because of personal issues. My Aunt Sheryl lived down here and she was the one who took care of me. So she really has been my rock and has helped me become the one I am today. The woman who doesn't take shit from nobody. Besides living in New York has suited me and I really feel like I belong here and it really describes the kind of person I am.

When I got off the train, I headed up the stairs and walked down the street until I went into a place called N3oN. I entered and the place was just about ready to open. I went to the locker room and put my stuff in the locker getting ready for the night.

"What are we doing after this?" I heard a voice said.

I turned my head and saw my best friend Kia opening her locker. I smiled and shook my head. "We? What do you mean we?" I questioned.

"You heard me correct. What we doing after? Cause we haven't hung out in weeks." Kia said.

"We'll see how the night goes." I said.

"Alright. But if you change your mind, I know this great place to grab drinks." Kia said before closing her locker.

I closed my locker and wrapped my apron around my waist before going to my station. I started lining up glasses and uncapping bottles before the bar opened.

"Here we go." I mumbled to myself.

***

I Got the Keys x Dj Khaled ft. Future & Jay-Z blasted through the bar as it began to get more crowded. Fridays were the best nights in New York especially at night. People were getting off of work and needed something to forget about the week. It was my job to make sure that they get the best nights and it was their job to pay my ass some good tips for serving their asses.

But whose complaining.

August

It taken me days to get New York from East LA to visit my bro Kirk for his birthday. But I had to say it was worth it cause New York is amazing. Because it was my first night here, Kirk brought me to this bar club called N3oN which I had to say was pretty dope.

"Welcome to the night life of the NYC." Kirk said.

"Holy shit man, it's real dope up in here." I said.

"That's New York for ya." Kirk said. "Let's grab a couple of drinks before we go to the strip club."

"Ight, sounds good." I said.

Kirk and I walked over to the bar and it was jam packed with people. I thought it was going to take awhile but after standing in line for about 10 minutes, everyone had cleared out. The bartender was real good at their job. I approached the bar and came face-to-face with a sexy ass girl who seemed somewhat familiar to me.

"Yo can I get two Corona beers with lime." Kirk ordered.

"Sure coming right up." She said.

I stayed at thd bar waiting on the drinks while Kirk got distracted and started dancing with some girl. She was working really fast and it was  incredible. She grabbed the beers and cut the limes before handing them to me.

"$20." She said.

"Shit. For two beers?" I questioned. "New York is expensive."

"A girl's gotta make a living." She said.

I took the money out and gave it to her. She took it from me but I held onto it and just looked at her. I swear she looked familiar to me, I just couldn't put my finger on it.

"Do I know you?" I asked.

"I don't think so." She said.

"Are you sure? I swear I've seen you somewhere before." I said.

"I highly doubt it." She said.

I said nothing and let her have the money. I took the beers and went over to Kirk who was still flirting with the same girl, he was dancing with earlier. I sat down next to them and drunk my beer watching the her work. But there was something about her that seemed familiar, I just didn't know what it was.

Levi

Holy shit! Holy motherfucking shit!

I couldn't believe that this nigga walks into the bar that I work at and had the audacity to ask me has he ever seen me before? Yes my nigga you have.  I wanted so bad to yell and throw acid in his face and laugh while it melts. But I was working and it would be unprofessional. I wanted my shift to be over so bad after that because after getting back to work, I saw how he was staring at me from across the room which only made my blood boil even more.

When my shift was finally over, I hurried into the locker room and grabbed my jacket. I went to go find Kia to let her know I was leaving. But she was still working.

"Kia, I'm going home." I said.

"So I take that as a no on the drinks." Kia said.

"It's complicated. I'll see you tomorrow." I said walking away and heading towards the A train.

***

I got home and I just threw my stuff on the floor and went into the cabinet and grabbed my bottle of Hennessy Paradis and a glass. I sat on my bed watching tv and drinking shot after shot before finding myself falling asleep.