12. Happiness

Two boys were staring in each other's eyes, determined not to blink, since being the first to briefly close your eyes would result in having to buy lunch for the other. Another reason was that rivals usually don't like the idea of losing.

"This was not exactly what I had in mind when I suggested doing something fun with you, Gai, Kakashi-chan."

"I'm afraid you're going to witness their rivalry much more often," Asuma muttered from his position with perfect view on the two, next to Kurenai, who was seated next to the redhead.

"You better get used to it, Aka-chan," Kurenai told her friend, "Aren't you the one who encouraged Gai to challenge Kakashi in the first place?"

Akahana nodded, Kurenai did have a point. Well, at least it seemed to make Kakashi happy and she didn't mind watching it too much either. 

"Ah! Why must you be so good at this?!"

The trio looked up to see a crying Gai, just having lost against the silverhaired boy, who just shrugged, "Maybe you're just that bad."

Akahana looked at him, raising her eyebrows, "Now, now, Kakashi, that's not very nice, is it?" she questioned, trying to lure out a reaction, "Would you like it if someone were to say something like that to you?"

"I wouldn't care," Kakashi replied with a little smirk, "You should know that by now."

***

When Akahana reached her home, she noticed Isamu was nowhere to be found, even though he had said he would be home in the afternoon and the evening, "Oji-san, where's Isamu?"

"I thought he was with you," Aoi said, surprised by the dact his own son wasn't home yet. Isamu was actually early most of the time.

"I'll go look for him," Akahana stated, "I'll be right back."

Just like that, Aoi was alone again, why did everyone have to be so busy, even his own wife was currently on a mission.

Even though he tended to not like the idea of being left alone by everyone he loved, he wouldn't change his life one bit. He understood what hos little brother had loved about the village now, he preferred it over Kiri at the moment.

Outside, Akahana stumbled upon Kakashi when looking for Isamu and decided to once again drag him along in her search.

Kakashi would have loved to not be included in some wild adventure for a change, but he had to admit it could be fun.

He currently was lagging behind, only to bump into the said girl when she came to a sudden halt. He stepped aside, only to see Isamu talking to a girl. She had brown hair and she chuckled when Isamu said something funny.

Isamu's cheeks turnes bright red when she did, "You honestly think I'm funny?" he questioned, "The only one who has ever said that to me is my family."

The girl smiled, "Yes, I truly think you're funny. I like that."

"T-thank you, Katsuko-chan!"

***

Isamu's new friend wasn't the only good news she found out about that day. When she was roaming the streets with Isamu, heading home, they came across a familiar man sitting on a bench.

When he saw the two Kobayashis, he looked away. Of course he felt bad for them about Sora's and Yuuki's passing, but he couldn't let himself be nice to the girl. He would have never thought she would've been right, at ten years old, she achieved more than he ever had.

"Isn't he..." Isamu trailed off, to which Akahana nodded. He was indeed her previous sensei at the Academy.

"What happened?" she questioned the man before Isamu could even stop her, "Shouldn't you be working?"