t h r e e

"Brave we were to anchor together under the moonless sky but we shared this compass and we followed those stars and here we found our harbour

"Brave we were to anchor together under the moonless sky but we shared this compass and we followed those stars and here we found our harbour." - Unknown

I sat across my mother, her grin so wide that it looked as though it was going to tear at the edges

I sat across my mother, her grin so wide that it looked as though it was going to tear at the edges. I impatiently waited for her to finish her thought, my fingers tapping gently on my thigh. "Well let's hear it?" I eagerly asked, the curiosity growing unbearable. She leaned forward, Clara bouncing in her seat next to her. Was she in on this?

"You have three months to find yourself a decent boyfriend. If you can do so in the time allotted, we will stop pestering you about it." She glanced over at Clara who was nodding.

"And what if I don't?" I asked, my thoughts running wild with this idea. I wasn't sure how I was going to find myself a suitable boyfriend by the end of the next three months but I wasn't afraid to take on a challenge. Leaning forward, I placed my elbows on my knees. For once, I was fully engaged in a conversation about relationships, maybe even a little excited.

"If you don't find someone," she paused for a moment, bringing a finger up to her lips. "Clara and I will pick one for you. Now of course you won't have to marry the boy, just give him a fair chance." She nodded her head, proudly beaming at Clara.

"I don't know..." I hesitated as I mulled over the idea in my head. There was no way I couldn't win this bet. I could wait until the last second and pay somebody to pretend to be my boyfriend for a week. I could do anything... but was this really possible? How would I find time for dating? I wasn't one to break out of my normal day to day routine. Besides, I barely did anything with anybody other than my mother and Clara.

"Oh come on, Erin. What do you have to lose?" Clara asked.

"Deal," I finally said. Sure, I liked the idea but I knew it was going to be hard. It was going to take me out of my comfort zone but maybe that's what I needed. Both women erupted with excitement, jumping from their chairs with their hands in the air.

"Yes, it's only three months, but can you manage dividing your focus between dating and work for that long?" My mother mused. I wanted to shake my head, I hadn't realized how much effort I would have to actually put into this bet. That pressure scared me a little.