s i x

Banner By Me

Chapter Currently Unedited

"You Deserve Love And You'll Get It" - Unknown

I sat in that blues club with my heart pounding rapidly. I hadn't been on a date in so long. I tugged at my ponytail, and at the dark blue dress hugging my skin. It had been so long since I had last been on a date, I was unsure of what I was supposed to do. I suddenly felt the desire of running away. I wanted to run back to the bridal shop and do some sort of after hours cleaning, anything to get me out of this situation. Clara sat eagerly shoveling her salad into her mouth. I hadn't even touched my Chips and salsa. I had no desire to eat anymore. I wanted to run away. How do you present yourself for a date?

"Erin you need to calm down." Clara suggested still fiddling with the salad on her plate. I watched as she so calmly scrolled through Facebook with one hand while eating with the other. My nerves were building up and I never was good dealing with that. I was counting down the minutes til I was officially on a date.

"How much longer til they get here?" I question looking around the bar. Crowds of people were beginning to form around the stage, dancing and swaying in the cool blue jazz music. My nerves were only growing with the seconds passing. A puff of hot air slipped through my lips, causing me to stir in my seat. My face felt hot. Actually the room felt hot. I needed some air. "Hey Clara, i'm going to go get some fresh air. I'll be right back." A forced smile covered my face. She glanced over the edge of her phone.

"Are you sure you are coming back?" Her eyes followed me. I pulled myself from my chair, straightening the edges of my dress. I nodded to her, hoping it would be enough to reassure her. Of course I should have known better.

"Yes, I promise I will be back, I just need a quick moment of fresh air. Just enjoy your silly facebook and your salad." I glanced down at the now basically empty plate. "Or what is left of it." Before she could respond I turned on my heel, heading towards the stairwell that would lead me up to the streets above. After grabbing my coat and heading to the busy roads, I was taken in by the sky. It was turning a deep shade of oranges and purples, and from what I could see between the giant skyscrapers, it was a stunning sunset. The air was brisk and it felt relaxing on my face. I could feel my nerves slowly drifting away. I took a few steps down the sidewalk leaning my back against the wall. The rough bricks digging into the skin on my bare back.

A young girl with a slightly smaller than normal frame hung to the edge of the sidewalk, her feet slowly drifting over each crack. She looked like she hurt all around. Her whole body aching from head to toe. The clothes she wore were tattered, hanging off of her in shreds. She seemed younger than a woman of prime age. Just a lost girl smoking her cigarette. She caused a good distraction; watching her frail body wander down the street. I felt more calm, slightly heartbroken but more calm. She reminded me that things could always be worse but like the New York citizen I was... I shrugged my shoulders and turned back towards the bar.