f i f t e e n

Unedited

Unedited

"Why do we always fall in love with our best friends" - Unknown

"I guess all I can really say is it's been a long day. I've been stressed out of my mind over something so dumb. Something with my mother and Clara. I'm just ready for it to be over. My competitive drive is too much for me sometimes and it's really kicking my ass. I was on this awful date earlier today with this man who god knows what his name was. He kept asking me questions just assuming I wasn't capable of owning a business. I was too young and dumb for everything. I hate when people just assume that. He brought up the fact that my father should have given the shop to my mother. It made me so mad. I'm so distracted though I haven't been able to give these guys a serious chance on these dates I've been going on." The words flew and flew out of my mouth.

"Doesn't sound like he deserved the time of day." Carter had switched from wine to beer. He wasn't really a fancy drink kind of guy. He used to only drink the wine because it was the only thing I would drink with him. Now that I was 22 I had branched out quite a bit, but that was hard to do when drinking was illegal.

"I'm just ready for the next couple of weeks to be over."

"So about the time I leave, wow Erin. You are so rude." My heart instantly sank because that wasn't what I meant. It was the exact opposite.

"Carter you get what I mean." I thought for a moment. I should shut up. I was a little buzzed from the alcohol. "I honestly wish you would never leave." I slammed my lips closed as soon as I said it.

"I don't want to leave. Erin, I really don't. I want to stay here with my family." He smiled. He reached his hand over and placed it on my thigh. It caught me off guard. Why did he do that?

I looked forward staring off towards the wall. I wasn't sure what to say. My mind was drawing blanks. I really should stop drinking but I didn't want to. It felt good to loosen up a little. Carter finished the beer in his hand, crushing it he placed it back on the table and grabbed another one out of the basket. My eyes followed his movements.

"What is stressing you out so much with your mother and Clara?" I could tell he was really confused about that part of my spill. I knew I shouldn't tell him, but I've had enough alcohol that it didn't really matter anymore. I was going to tell him whatever he wanted to know if he knew what questions to ask.

"You're going to think I'm dumb if I tell you." I giggled like a little school girl. My hair fell in my face and I couldn't bother myself to pull it out of the way. Carter lifted my head up pushing my hair back for me. I closed my eyes smiling. The alcohol really starting to hit me.

"Erin I know you're dumb." I smacked his chest jokingly.

"You are the actually rude one."

"Oh come on just tell me what's bothering you."