3 - Explain

"So.." Frisk said. "Let me get this straight." She looked for the right words and then continued. "A small group of monsters, by the name of "the Lockets", want to make a barrier again. But this one, one that's impassable for humans?" Alphys nodded as a confirmation. "How would that work then? Human souls are much stronger. A monster wouldn't be able to cross without being destroyed.." Frisk thought out loud. "G-good thi-thinking.. Though.. M-monsters have a thing humans d-don't have." Alphys' voice became softer as she said the last word: "Magic.."

~Alphys' P.O.V.~

Once I dropped the term "magic", Frisk went silent. She'd understood just as much as I had, which meant we had both understood something close to nothing. Expect for one thing.. him. The mention of magic clearly startled her, too. I wish I was as much of a talker as Undyne and Papyrus are. They're both so talkative and good at comforting others. Especially Papyrus.. even whe himself is frustrated or sad.

Talking with Wi- I mean, professor Gaster was much easier. We communicated in sign language in which I didn't stutter. I can barely introduce myself..

~Narra~

Alphys' thought bubble was popped by Frisk, who was thinking out loud. "Could it be..?" She muttered to herself. "No.. he's dead.. or isn't he..? No...he must be." Frisk whispered to herself. Alphys heard her and looked at Frisk with a worried expression.
"I m-miss him too. We.. we a-all do.." Alphys said. "I'm so sorry." Was all Alphys had left to say.

Frisk forced a smile and let her light brown hair fall in front of her face to conceal her watery eyes. She took a deep breath and continued the conversation from where they'd left. "I know all monsters have at least a little magic in them and humans don't. They have determination in their soul instead.. but humans were the ones that sealed monsterkind in the underground with a magical barrier," Frisk sobbed and then continued: "Where did they get that from?" she asked.
"A human's determination is s-stronger than the average monster's ma-magic.. but.. if the barrier is.. uhm.. a-altered.. then only m-monsters can pass.." Alphys paused as she looked at Frisk. Her brown hair still concealed her eyes but Alphys knew Frisk was on the edge of crying. "A monster s-soul is different from a h-human soul.. To-Toriel told you, di-didn't she?"
Frisk nodded and said "Ye-Yeah." with a heartbreaking crack in her tired voice. "So.. That's h-how.." Alphys explained. Frisk stood up and tucked her hair behind her ears.

"Well," Frisk said "Guess Asgore and I will have some human-monster bussiness on the surface then. I'll have a word with him." Alphys shook her head. "M-maybe.. it's better if h- mister Dr-Dreemurr doesn't find out about thi-this.."

Frisk let out a sigh. Alphys always blamed herself for everything bad that involved her. Sometimes even for things she couldn't have done anything about and things that didn't involve her. Like the time Papyrus had ran out of MTT brand cologne after having the same bottle for several years. Or that day.. the day he died. But she didn't remember that. Thank goodness, she didn't remember anything of it. She would've been devastated if she still knew.

"He won't blame you for it, don't worry." This time, Alphys was the one to sigh. "If you s-say so.. I think it's.. uhm.. f-fine.." she sighed again.

Frisk thanked Alphys for letting her stay over and rushed back to her house in the Ruins. It was 2:37am. What a great time to barge into your own house.

A/N
Hey there! Thank you for reading all the way up to this chapter. How am I doing so far? I don't really have any proper storyline to be honest. Just a few things that I really want to happen and of course the main plot, but any side events (including Frisk's visit at Alphys' lab) were not part of it.
The main plot I have in my head is "Barrier stuff. Plottwists. Cliffhangers. Conspiracy theories. More barrier stuff. Oh and magic. ..probably"
Thank you for reading ♡