18 - Leave

~ Frisk's P.O.V. ~

I woke up just before Austin stopped by to check on me.

"O-oh! You're awake! How are you fee-feeling?" Alphys asked.

I looked around and sighed out of relief. My vision was blurred and I struggled as I tried to sit upright, but I quickly recognised Alphys' lab through the blur.

"I'm alright."

I heard Undyne's voice from somewhere in the room, but couldn't see her.

"What exactly happened?" She asked.

"I don't really know. My body just shut down.."

"You.. uhm.. m-may have had a.. panic a-attack." Alphys stated.

Undyne sat down next to me, and startled me when she gave me a "friendly" pat on the back. It hurt. Luckily, my vision had started to clear up again and everything around me was clear.

At that moment Austin barged in, panting heavily. He was wearing Papyrus' scarf. My heartbeat literally went up by.. a lot - Alphys' had been keeping track of it - and it rose from a steady 70 to way above the 85.

My body was filled with adrenaline and I jumped off the couch, taking a fighting stance.

"Thats Pap's scarf, isn't it?!" I cried, "What'd you do to him?"

"Wow, calm down there," Austin said calmly, "sit down."

"Not before you tell me what's going on!"

Hell no. I was not going to be calm. There was no way Papyrus had given his scarf away. He wouldn't have given it away to anyway, not even to his brother.

Undyne had taken a fighting stance next to me, too, and was holding a light blue spear in her hands.

Austin put his hands up. "Calm down, you two."

"WHAT DID YOU DO TO PAPYRUS?" Undyne shouted.

Alphys interrupted us. "Um.. maybe w-we shouldn't attack h-him and assume thi-things.."

"Exactly," Austin agreed, stuffing his hands in his pockets again.

"Austin.. wha-what happened?" Alphys asked.

"Papyrus gave me his scarf to protect me," Austin explained, "it's dangerous for humans now, after all. He's worried."

I didn't believe him.

"I get it if you don't believe me. But I want you to know I would never be willing to hurt Papyrus in any way. I came here to help, not to hurt. I don't like the hurting people who care about me."

Alphys gave an approving nod, after which Undyne and I apologised for our negative accusations. I'd been accused of something I hadn't done, and now I was doing the same to Austin. Good job, me.

"It's alright," Austin simply shrugged it off, "you couldn't have known anyway. Trusting strangers in a situation like this isn't easy."

"You're not a stranger to me anymore, are you?" I said, forcing a smile.

"Depends on who you'd consider a stranger." Austin grinned.

My heartbeat slowed down and steadied again. The adrenaline levels in my blood steadied, too. Austin handed me the red scarf.

"Papyrus wants you to have it, it protects you, he says."

"I don't need it," I laughed weakly, "you didn't need to get involved and yet you did. Take care of yourself. I was the one who dragged me into this so I'll live with the consequences."

"You're being a bit.. Frisky." Austin joked.

I laughed. "Since you're laughing, I'll assume you're doing fine." Austin smiled as he wrapped the scarf around his neck again.

"So.." Undyne said, "what now? We need to tell everyone that Monster Kid was lying."

"I'll bet you they're all still in the castle." Austin said.

"Hello? I lost my conciousness, what even happened in the first place? I've forgotten everything." I interrupted.

"Oh, right," Austin said, "well, for starters, you were accused of killing Sans. I know you didn't, but everyone's missed him so everyone blindly assumed that was the truth. That kind of destroyed you and I think you had a panic attack not long after that. I attacked Monster Kid and took you to Alphys. My medical knowledge is poor, so I couldn't help you anyway. Grillby also talked to me for a short moment. Went to visit him later."

"Did Papyrus hear the accusation?" I asked, worried.

"Undyne took him somewhere to cook spaghetti. He's gotten real good at it, by the way. Oh, and after I brought you here, I went to Snowdin. Papyrus, Undyne and Grillby were the only ones around. Papyrus gave me his scarf when I came to visit him." Austin explained, his grip around the red scarf tightening.

~ Austin's P.O.V. ~

My hands tightened their grip around Papyrus' scarf. Tears soon blurred my vision. Crap. At least my left eye hadn't flashed any color yet.

"Sorry.." I said, "didn't mean to cry."

I wanted to turn around and walk away forever, again, but Undyne stopped me. She put a hand on my left shoulder and turned me around.

"You're not going anywhere," she said in a low voice. I shivered. "Alphys and Frisk need you to stop that damned Monster Kid and his other stupid friends."

"We don't need humans.." I stated. I turned around and wanted to walk away again. Undyne let go of my shoulder. Good.

Frisk jumped off the couch again and I heard her footsteps as she walked towards me.

"Austin, listen to me." she said.

I stopped walking, but didn't turn around.

"Humans and monsters can be friends. Papyrus cares about us, Undyne cares, Alphys cares, Toriel cares. Even Mettaton cares about us humans! They all care, Jeremy Austin Renniue-Blue!"

Uh-oh. Full name. That's always bad.

"Us humans don't benefit monsters in any way, and monsters don't benefit humans. It's better if we lived seperated from each other again."

It had been a while since I had last cried. Stay strong, I thought to myself. Normally, I would've pulled my cowl over my head, but the sweater I'd gotten from Toriel obviously didn't have a cowl like my hoodie.

But I felt like I was right. If humans hadn't ever interfered with monsters again, then all this would never have happened. We'd both live peacefully, unaware of each other. The way we did for centuries.

"What does it matter?" Frisk shouted, angered by my words, "We can all be friends! We can still care about each other, it doesn't matter whether we benefit each other or not!"