Chapter 3: Time

Shizuo POV

I speed out of the broken restaurant, Vorona and Tom hot on my trail.

"H-hey," Vorona stammers. "What's with you? I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but you let up way too easily on him..."

"I didn't notice that he was hurt, I wouldn't have even started the fight if I knew before," I say. "What, did you want me to keep going?"

Vorona sighs exasperated.

I continue down the streets and the evening slowly grew to night. It also grew quiet with less noise so every step that the trio took echoed throughout the alleyways. The tapping of footsteps against asphalt was eerie and I become anxious.

"We're going to Shinra's," I say, breaking the haunting silence. If that fleabag would take that Namie girl anywhere, it would be there. I'm not sure what I want to say to her, but I feel...bitter? Guilty?

Arriving at the underground doctor's home, I ring the doorbell. From the inside I hear a yelp, a bit of scrambling, some shuffling, and eventually the door clicked open. The doctor, Shinra, stood before them wearing a yellow shirt- backwards and inside out- and less to the imagination on the bottom. He straightens his glasses and stares at us.

"Shizuo? And Vorona, Tom. What're you guys doing here? At this hour..."

"Is Namie Yagiri here?" I ask.

"You're straight to the point," Shinra says laughing. "She's resting in Celty's room. If you're wondering, she's fine. Miss Yagiri just needs a little time."

"I need to talk to her," I say.

"Shinra says she's sleeping," Tom interjects. "We shouldn't disturb her."

The floor creaks behind Shinra and a groggy looking woman with long black hair peeps from behind the door.

"Oh, it's you," Namie mutters, half-sleep. "No wonder the racket woke me up."

"Don't talk to Shizuo like that," Vorona squawks.

"It's fine," I say. "I just wanted to talk for a bit. You up for it?"

Namie shrugs. I can tell that she had been in pain for a while judging by the way she leans on the door and Shinra subtly supports her as well. The woman gestures the three friends inside as she turns and hobbles slowly to the couch. I grimace as I sit in a chair next to Namie.

"Well?" She urges.

"Guess I'll get straight to the point...why did you protect that fleabag?"

Namie looks confused. Then, a second later, she starts to laugh.

"What, do you think I protected him because he means something to me?" She wipes a tear from her eyes, shaking from the effort of happiness.

I relax.

"So why did you do it? I could've killed you."

"Because I need him," Namie says simply. "It's a way to get close to my brother. And the man pays me, which is not something any reasonable human being would give up."

I begin to feel annoyed with Namie. Sure the man pays her...but the bitch should at least be grateful for it.

"Honestly," she continues. "No one likes that sad excuse for a human. He's a selfish, manipulative bastard and-"

I stand abruptly, causing everyone in the room to jump.

"I'm glad you aren't too hurt," I say. "I guess I'll be on my way."

I turn and storm out of Shinra's apartment, Vorona and Tom scrambling behind me. I split up from them when we get closer to my apartment and I walk up the stairs, my blood boiling.

That bitch doesn't know what she's talking about...