Chapter Three

"I asked not to be disturbed," Ramesses said from the balcony

Being the first wife of the Pharaoh, Nefertari was confident Ramesses would not punish her for visiting his chambers unannounced. No matter how hot-headed the king had grown over the years, he still respected some traditions. She glanced about his sleeping chambers, taking note of the disarray. Cotton sheets and pillows were strewn upon the tiled floor and the white veil canopy that should surround the gold bed frame lay on the ground in shreds. He must have suffered a recent tantrum.

"I apologise if my presence disturbs you, but my troubled heart would not let me rest." Nefertari's feet tapped against the shiny floor as she drew closer to Ramesses. When the cool evening breeze blew the curtain aside, she saw his gaze was fastened on the region of Goshen.

"I am not responsible for calming your troubled heart, woman." His voice was gruff and impatient.

When Nefertari reached the balcony entrance, she drew the curtain aside. She was risking the wrath of Ramesses by asking her next question but she asked anyway.

"Why wouldn't you let them go?" Nefertari asked in a small, quiet voice.

After twenty-seven years of marriage, Nefertari had learned it was always best to act scared around Ramesses. When his back stiffened and his hands clenched at his side, she took a tentative step back.

"Did the god of stupidity bless you today or are you naturally foolish?" Ramesses' linen kilt swished as he turned to face her.

"I apologise if my question angered you, but I am worried. Moses's threat affects us personally this time." She clasped both hands before her chest and prayed he did not swing into a fit of rage.

Ramesses stared past her as the muscles of his jaw ticked. When he said nothing, Nefertari took it as a cue to continue speaking. Perhaps the gods would smile upon her this day and touch her husband's stubborn heart.

"Moses' threat did not stop at the firstborn of men, he also included handmaidens. I would assume this includes firstborns of women as well. If his threat comes to pass, the least and the greatest will be affected. I plead with you to—"

"ENOUGH!" Ramesses thundered.

Flinching, Nefertari took a cautious step back.

The scowl on Ramesses' face grew so twisted that he hardly looked human. Shoving the embroidered curtain aside with an angry sweep of his hand, he took measured steps in her direction. Nefertari continued to retreat until her back pressed against the wall.

"You would never mention that man's name in my presence. Never!" Ramesses barked in her face as he slammed a fist next to her head.

Nefertari gulped and shut her eyes.

"These sons you're so worried about are also mine! I have seven first sons so I understand the meaning of what that idiot said. I do not fear his threat. The Priestess will fix this."