s i x t e e n / the other guy

Bruce was pacing nervously around the helicarrier, wringing his hands together

Bruce was pacing nervously around the helicarrier, wringing his hands together. It'd been a few hours since the group had left, and while this was their usual routine--leaving him behind and only calling for emergencies, the doctor wished he was there, to at least know what was going on.

He'd received an earpiece, so he was able to communicate with anyone if he needed to, but had held off, not wanting to distract them from doing what they'd came there to do--find Bucky.

It was a funny thing, he thought, to be looking for a man from the 1940s. Especially one with his past. But he couldn't be one to judge; the Avengers weren't known for their normalcy, now were they?

There was a crackling in his earpiece, causing his stress level to rise.

"Guys?" He called out, but heard no response.

Bruce waited for another few moments, waiting for someone to reassure him that everything was going fine, but when nothing came, stress turned into panic.

And then his mind was being poked and prodded, by something that wasn't there, something that--or someone.

Wanda, he realized.

For a second, he wondered why she wasn't just asking him for information or talking to him through the earpieces, and was about to ask her himself, when it occurred to him that maybe she couldn't. Maybe something had happened, and she couldn't contact him by voice.

Bruce...

We need your help...

He shook as he recognized the young adult's rich voice, and noted the feigned calm in it. There had definitely been a mishap with the plan, and they needed his help.

But why didn't she just call the others? They'd be much closer than he was.

The others are searching for Bucky...we need your help...

It's a code green.

A shocking chill shot down his spine as the words were spilled into his mind, interrupting his thought patterns and causing his head to skip a beat, his breath hitching and stomach sinking.

Four words. It's only four words, he reminded himself, taking several deep breaths in attempts to calm himself down, but to no avail.

Are you sure? He tried to ask back, without taking.

Bruce.

Wanda was more urgent now.

You'll find us in the center of the woods. Remember that. Don't kill these men, we'll need them for further investigation about Skull.

Do you understand?

Yes, was his slow reply, taking in the information.

Bruce stepped out into the sun, moving away from the helicarrier, and felt a deep, resounding anger thrust its way up from his gut, taking over every nerve and thought.

The only words that remained were don't kill anyone.

As his skin transformed into a dark green pallor, and his facial features dug out an infuriated expression, he hoped to God that he didn't.

-

Cara couldn't breathe.

It'd felt like so long since Wanda had sent out the message to Bruce, and she was beginning to worry that he'd backed out, and didn't want to turn green on the off chance that he'd hurt someone.

She respected his morals and precaution-taking, she really did, but in her opinion, the current moment wasn't exactly a time to be considering whether or not to get all Grinch-y.

Bruce, she groaned internally, just come over here and--

A guttural roar interrupted her thought, and for a second, her chest sparked with a new fear, not realizing that the sound had come from their rescuer.

"What the hell--" the man in front of her growled with annoyance seeping through his words.

Cara smirked cruelly. "Say hi to the Grinch for me, would you?"

Taking the intruders by surprise, she swerved away from them, stomping down--hard--on one of their feet. As the man cried out in pain, she took the chance to knee another in their nether region. With two of them keeling over in misery, it was an easy maneuver to knock their heads against the other, hard enough to make them collapse to the ground, limp as a sack of potatoes.

In that moment, a barreling green monster--Bruce--had come through the trees, and let out another ear-splitting bellow that caused Cara's ears to pop from the impact.

By now, she was sure that everyone in a twenty-mile radius had been notified of their presence.

Wanda looked more than pleased to see the ominous creature in their midst, and spoke out with confidence, "Hulk."

His mouth tugged back in a snarl, his eyes dark with mischief and cruelty.

"Smash."

Triggering him with one word was enough for him to hurtle into the air, far over all of their heads, and landing just in front of the Skull agents, shaking the ground as much as a medium magnitude earthquake.

"Shit!" The supposed leader cursed, toppling over on his rear end from the Hulk's crash landing. "What the hell is this thi--"

He didn't have time to finish his sentence before his ankles had been claimed by a large green hand, and were being treated like the handle for a baseball bat, one that was being beaten on the ground over and over again.

"Bruce!" Cara called out in terror, "don't kill him!"

Wanda shushed her. "You can't mention Dr. Banner when the other guy is around. He gets even more angry when that happens."

"How is that even possible?" Cara wonder aloud, but then saw a whole crowd of raging Skull agents charging at them in a full sprint. "Wanda, you ready?" She shouted over another one of Hulk's war cries.

She nodded firmly. "Let's do some damage."

Cara watched for a second as Wanda's arms lifted beautifully, creating an arc with her limbs before generating a red, veiny, pulsing ball of energy and light between them, and pushing it out towards their oncoming pursuers.

Then the teen felt a hand on her wrist, and her mind was overflowed with thoughts of what would happen if she let herself be captured. Unable to bear the thought of it, she lashed out wickedly, fighting tooth and nail like she'd never done before. Just the feel of someone else's hands on her was enough to unleash a warrior-like survival mode, and she threw punches at every opportunity, kicking and screeching at her attacker.

It hadn't been very long until they were losing the fight, though. They were getting smarter, and stopped trying to fight the Hulk, understanding that anyone who did would get a severe beating that'd leave a bruise for about ten years. Wanda was being pushed to her limit, and Cara had been overrun with Skull agents. They grabbed for each limb, hoping to carry her away to wherever they'd take her.

The sad part was that she had given up.

There was absolutely no fight left in her, and knew, with a sinking heart, that there was a possibility that she'd never see Steve again if Skull successfully took her away.

But there was nothing she could do to defend herself, not anymore.

A whirl of wind rushed past her, and she saw a glint of blond hair as she was tugged away, but by then, she knew that Pietro was too late. Wanda had been bound and dragged away, in the same direction Cara was.

Hulk roared once again, and that was the last thing she heard before feeling a prick on her arm that sent her into a deep, dreamless slumber.

[so thanks so much for reading I hope it was good]