Spiraling Downward

(Present day)

The first few days had been rough. Thorne had acted like a fawning child the entire time and she practically have to haul him behind her as she walked down the sandy waves in the desert the first two days. It had been absolutely miserable.

At certain points in their trip, Thorne would try ti wrap his arms around her to peck her cheek. She would promptly push him away, claiming that it was far too hot and that he needed to focus. But every time he tried to do either of these things, he would get closer to her. Not to mention the relentless blush that climbed her throat and cheeks, making her feel even hotter than the sun made her.

She had little to no clue as to why her body was reacting this way towards Thorne. But if she could make it stop, she would without a second thought.

"Creeeeeessssss," he groaned. His hands lightly covered her shoulders and a jolt ran up her spine. Stars, she wished he would stop doing that.

"Wh-what do you want, Thorne?" she asked for the hundredth time.

"When can we sit?" He slid his arms around her neck from behind her and placed his chin on the top of her head. He was acting like a tired little puppy and she was his owner. It was gnawing at her how annoying he was at the moment.

Still, it was better than crashing to Earth all on her own. She probably would have panicked and start hyperventilating. It was nice to have someone with her.

She just wished he could see how ridiculous he was being or think about what to do next and not leave everything for her.

Feeling sweat accumulating on her shoulders, she shrugged Thorne off of her and took his hand again. Which received a disappointed whine from her blind friend. "We can sit after we get to the next ridge," she answered. With every word she spoke, the words became more dry and tired. She had no idea how Thorne had barely drank anything since they left the satellite. He constantly said that he didn't need it, and that she should drink what they had. She'd have to beg him to drink every few hours when he was drooping like a wilting plant.

They trudged up the sandy hill and the dust poured into their lungs. Thorne squeezed her hand several times to reassure her that he was behind her. But in the back of her head, she thought she heard the sounds of chatter and movement. And as darkness began to cloak the sky while the sun set, She thought she say some light over the hill.

As they grew closer to the top, the light brightened. With every step, their faces became more illuminated by the glow.

"Thorne," she sighed in ecstasy, "There's light over the hill. What do you think that means?"

He shrugged and added, "Maybe there's people."

Her heart leaped out of her throat. "People!" she squealed in delight. Quickly, she jerked on Thorne's hand and raced up the side of the sandy hill. Her feet would sink an inch or two or she would trip over her own feet. Still, she ran for her life with a smile on her face with Thorne in tow. It felt like forever, but she made it to the top of the hill with Thorne just steps behind her.

And all she could see were beautiful lights that cascaded across the sand. With buildings around and people walking in the streets. Cress nearly fainted from the excitement. All of her resentment for Thorne before they met had dissipated in that moment. He led her hear to this glorious place. Without him, she never would have come to Earth, or even had the chance.

"Thank you," she blushed. She looked at Thorne, who was holding her hand and gazing at nothing. "You brought me here. I never would have do it without you."

He smiled and replied, "I make woman do crazy things."

And that's the exact second that Thorne ruined the moment, and Cress dragged him behind her as she sprinted to the center of the town.