7. Fascinated

Chapter 7

  Monday morning, I got up and got dressed like I usually did when it was time for school.  When I stepped out of my room, I instantly knew that Maria was here because I could smell breakfast cooking.  I followed my nose until I was sitting at the counter.

"Good morning, Dani," she said, setting a plate down in front of me. 

"Morning," I said, picking up my fork and taking the first bite. 

She smiled.  "Your grandmother had to run some errands this morning and she wanted me to tell you to have a good day at school," she said. 

"Where was she going?" I asked, taking another bite. 

She shrugged.  "I think she was wanting to go to the bookstore and places like that," she said. 

"Oh, okay," I said, and continued eating.

A little while later after I called out a goodbye to Maria, I headed for the elevator and down to the first floor.  Saying goodbye to Paul, I went out the door and onto the sidewalk.  I put my headphones on as I walked to school.  And when I got there, I didn't take them off as I headed for my locker. 

A few names and shoves later, I was there, dialing the combination and opening my locker.  I took out one headphone as I grabbed my books to put in my bag.  When I closed it, I jumped when I saw someone standing beside me.

"Do you seriously have to do that?" I asked, heart pounding, and not just from being scared.

Sam grinned.  "Sorry," he said.  And then looked down at me.  Plain t-shirt, jeans, Converse, and a zip-up hoodie with my hair up in a ponytail and glasses.  That's what he was seeing.  He grinned and looked back up at me.  "So this is how you dress normally?"

I crossed my arms over my chest.  "Yes, why?  Do you not like the way I dress?"

He shook his head.  "No, I find it very...cute," he said.  "But..."

My face blanked.  Cute?  Is that how he saw me when I was myself and not DJ Masque?

Sighing, I turned around and started to walk away.  But just then, I felt a hand grab onto mine and pull me back.  I crashed against Sam's chest.  I was so surprised that I was this close to him that I couldn't even look at his face.  My eyes wouldn't go anywhere higher than his chin. 

"Dani," he said.  "Wait just a moment."

"I know what you're thinking," I said, still staring at his chin. 

"Oh, really?  Are you a mind reader?" he asked, chuckling. 

"No.  Shut up," I mumbled.  Couldn't he just let go of me so I could think straight?  Well, did I really want him to...?  Maybe not. 

Sam laughed again.  "Dani, look up at me," he said. 

It took a few seconds, but I finally did.  "What?" I asked.

He looked at me for a few moments before he reached up and took my glasses off of my face.  Then he reached for my ponytail, taking out the hair band that had it held up.  My dark brown curls fell down around my shoulders and down my back. 

"Why'd you do that?" I asked as he handed me my glasses.  I held them tight in my hand before putting them in my bag. 

"Because now you look beautiful and I don't see why you don't have your glasses off and hair down every day," he said.

My cheeks instantly flamed and I had to look away, only my eyes landed on everyone who was standing around.  They were practically gawking at us with mouth open wide.  I mean, who could blame them?  Sam Fitzpatrick talking to Dani Sinclair?  Standing that close to her?How in the world was that happening?  I couldn't blame them for being surprised.  I was, too.