Room of Pack

I enter the elevator, and hit the number 8 button. The soft rails of the elevator going up make me calm. I lean against the wall. I wait, for about two minutes. A loud ding comes from the elevator, telling me I've reached my floor. I walk out, staring down the hall. I read the numbers on the doors. "One eighty two. One eighty three. One eighty four. One eight five." I trail off. "One nighty." I smile. My door is Grey, like everyone elses, but it feels colorful to me. I open the door, and fall onto my bed.

My bed is just like home. No fluff. No foam. And not comfy. But even  though the bed isn't perfect, I love it. It's sheets are warm, and guard me through the night. I always used to have Jewel sleep in the same room as me, in another bed. We shared a room for as long as I can remember. She made me feel safe. Safe in the night. I would wake in the morning to her soft foot steps on the creaky wood floor. She made me smile every morning.

I run my fingers through my hair. It's knotted and greasy. I look at the worn down shower in my bathroom. I turn it on, and undress. At home, we showed by another person dunking water on your head. That was usally only a luxury, as though we were just to lazy to help another do so. I would normally bathe in a tub upstairs. Our house was two levels. On the first was a fire place, a kitchen with a old oil stove and a sink, a old table and three wooden chairs. There was two windows down stairs. To get upstairs, you had to climb a old ladder. Upstairs was Charlie's room, my mom, dad and Erica's room and Jewel and I's room.

We had one bathroom as well upstairs. Everyone shared it. Sometimes it would stink and other times it would smell of fresh soap. I put a bit of shampoo in my hand, and lather it through my hair. I wash it out. The bar of soap slips in and out of my hands. I clean my body. Once I'm done, I turn off the shower, and wrap myself in a towel. The air stings my skin, like ice. I redress and comb my hair. The knots are gone, in seconds. I smile, that's the way I am. Knot free hair, my clothes have to match, everything has to be perfect. I re-tie my hair up into a ponytail and walk out of the bathroom.

The air smells fresh and clean. I lay on my bed, ignoring the fact that I should be following shedule and think about life. Even though Jewel is dead, I can live a good normal life. I think about leaving Panem. They told us in school, that if you left Panem, a world of monsters, and murders lived out there. I don't believe that. When I was younger my dad, gave me a globe. It was a gift that cost us little to much and my dad had to work and extra hour to get it. I loved it. Panem is a country beneath another country called Ersol. Ersol is a large mapped country.

Across the globe are countries such as China, Eroupe and Russia. I imagine that they don't have the Hunger games. That they have perfect lives with no debt. No districts, no hunger games, no Capitol. I imagine a life like that. It would be amazing. I could shower for real. I could drink sugary drinks. I could be what I wanted to be when I grow up. I begin to pack up my things for tomorrow. I find something tucked into my drawer. My sister's Mockingjay Necklace. I clip it on to my neck, and continue to pack.

I pack clothes, a water bottle, underware, socks and hair stuff. After all, I'll be in the middle of no where for a couple days. Or maybe weeks. I look at the hiking back pack I pack in. I slide a photo of Jewel inside, and shed a tear from my eye.