Chapter 3

For the third time in one day, I slowly open my eyes to assess my new surroundings. I was in a large, circular, dome-shaped place.  In equal increments around the room, there were arched supports that seemed to hold the entire structure in place.  I ran my eyes along one of these beams, starting at the base of the room and going towards the uppermost point where it met with the other beams to form a kind of star on the ceiling.

I looked around and I noticed that I was laying on one of many white beds placed against the circular wall.  Some of the other beds were occupied by people who seemed injured or dazed like me, and women in grey dresses and white aprons mulled around these beds.

One of these women saw me awake and walked over.

"'Ey there boy.  Ya took quite'a fall there didn't you?" Her very strong accent muddling her words.

"A fall?"

"Yes'sir. That Fea called Zif said'ja fell down the whole grand stairs when ya passed out."

"I did not!"

"What? Ya didn't pass out? I suppose ya got an explanation ta why'ya were in 'ere the passed hour suckin' your thumb like'a baby?"

"What?! No I wasn't!"

"Haha, young boy! I'm just messin' wit'cha! I know that Zif character be fibbin' when 'e said'ja fell. I saw the whole thing anyway. He dint use the most humane way of gettin you 'ere neither, usin' a bray ta get you 'ere. So boy, who you be?"

"Wait. A bray?"

"What? You ne'r seen a bray before? Boy, you even from 'round 'ere? Where you from?"

"Um.." I wasn't sure how to answer. "Missouri."

"Hm...Mizzerry? Ne'r heard of it.  Is it a city in the far kingdoms or something? Sounds kin'a depressin'?"

"No it's in um... the United States?"

"What in'da great mother's name ya talkin' about boy? Who you be?"

"I'm Connor."  I said in a very confused and worried tone. Everyone else seemed to know exactly who I was.

"Connor who? Ar' you even a noble? What house'r you from?"

Suddenly and thankfully, before I could answer, the deer creature -except in her human form- opened the door to the room and walked in. "Jane," she said, "This is Prince Connor of the Bright Wood. He is from the other world, and our great mother has called him here."

The persistent nurse's eyes widened in surprise. "Your Majesty, forgive me. I didn't mean ta be rude."

"No matter. Continue your duties. The prince is well."

"Yes m'lady." The nurse walked away with her head bowed and tended to another patient nearby.

"Come, Connor.  There is much to explain, and you must want a tour of your new home."

I hurried to catch up to the princess, who was already walking towards the exit.  "Wait, my new home?  Princess, I don't mean to be rude or anything, but I can't stay here and be prince of a kingdom.  I have a life back home. I have people that need me."

"Do not worry about them. Your memory has been erased from that world. You never belonged there anyway."

"What?! What do you mean my memory has been erased?!"

"I mean what I say. Your friends and guardians will remember nothing of your existence."

I stopped as the princess continued walking. No, none of this could be true. The nice, loving Cronwells could not just forget about me. They couldn't.  I've been their foster child for over three years.  They would know something was wrong and they would start looking for me. I would need to get out of this world so they could find me. Wait, did she say that I didn't belong in my world? "What do you mean I never belonged there anyway? I grew up there."