Chapter 4 Pt. 1

"You ready ladybug?" Nicki asked as she placed an earring in her ear. To say that she was nervous was an understatement. In less than half an hour, she would be sitting across the table from the father of her child, unbeknownst to him, and his girlfriend who she hoped wasn't a total snob.

"I'm ready mommy!" Darcie looked up at Nicki with a smile. "You look pretty." Darcie said to her which caused her to smile as well.

"Thank you ladybug, you look pretty as well." Nicki knelt down as best as she could in her heels and straightened out Darcie's plum colored dress. After fixing her clothes, Nicki ran her hand through her wild curls with a smile, thinking that she looked just like her father. "I told you no sweets before dinner," Nicki wiped the cookie crumbs from around her mouth and made a mental note to move the cookie jar on top of the refrigerator.

"It was just two cookies mommy, I'm still hungry." Darcie pouted and Nicki couldn't help but to chuckle. Being a light eater herself, she knew there was only one place Darcie could've gotten her appetite from. Back in high school, Drake would order a pizza for them and he'd eat the whole thing except for maybe one or two slices, depending on how hungry Nicki was.

"Okay, we're going to get you something to eat. We're having dinner with an old friend," Nicki said as she stood back up to her full height and tossed her hair over her shoulders. Twisting this way and that, she hoped her dress wasn't too much for dinner, especially given how formal Drake had been with her earlier. Maybe because we were in a professional setting. She didn't know, but it felt odd that they used to be best friends and now it was as if they were nothing but classmates back in high school. After all, she did share her most sacred virtue with him.

It was strange to her how they even lost touch. Granted she did pull away after finding out she was pregnant, but, never in a million years, did she think their relationship would end up the way it had. Not that it was a bad thing, she was eager to get her friend back at the least.

"An old friend? Do they have grey hair?" Darcie asked, causing Nicki to laugh. Taking one last look at the maroon tube dress she was wearing, Nicki was satisfied with her appearance and decided that it was definitely time to go before they were late. 

The whole ride over to the restaurant, which Drake had kindly told Nicki to leave up to her daughter, Darcie couldn't stop talking about how badly she wanted a puppy for Christmas. "Darcie mommy works too much for a puppy. What about a hamster or a fish?" Nicki looked at her through the rearview mirror. Darcie immediately pouted at the thought, not knowing her mother was watching her. "Okay mommy." The disappointment in her voice didn't go unnoticed by Nicki who sighed. "I'll try my best to work out something with a puppy. If not, we can visit the idea later cupcake." Nicki told her and then watched her pout turn into a smile. She definitely got that from me.

Their ride to the restaurant wasn't a long one, and after Nicki got Darcie out of her car seat, she took her hand and stopped just before they walked inside. "Darc," Nicki said softly, "This is somebody I work with okay, be on your best behavior." She caressed her cheek softly and Darcie nodded. Nicki kissed her forehead before opening the door for Darcie and ushering her inside as an older couple walked out. All Darcie wanted to eat was mac and cheese so Nicki chose a place where Darcie could get the meal of her choice and she could get a nice glass of wine.

"Mommy look!" Darcie pointed towards the ceiling at the huge chandelier, "Those light are so pretty baby," Nicki placed her hand on her shoulder and pushed her forward towards the podium where the hostess was standing. "I'm here for a reservation with Drake Graham, we're his plus two." Nicki said to the woman who grabbed a full menu and a kids' menu along with a coloring book and crayons for Darcie. "Right this way, they just arrived a couple of minutes ago." she told Nicki who breathed a sigh of relief.

It was as if Drake sensed her presence, he turned around with a smile when she was barely even five feet away from the table. "Mommy, is that my daddy?" Darcie looked at her and looked down at her wide eyed before pulling her towards a corner. Drake frowned a little, wondering what was going on but he didn't want to intrude so he stayed seated.

"Baby, who? Who is your daddy?" Nicki knelt beside her and Darcie pointed to Drake.

"Him, Grandma Carol showed me a picture. She said I have a daddy because the kids at school teased me for only having one mommy. This girl called Leah said that she has two mommies and two daddies and that I only have one." Darcie looked down at her feet and Nicki sighed.

Should I leave and fake an emergency or face this head on? Nicki didn't have long to make a decision so she decided to explain to Darcie. "Baby, you do have a daddy but we're going to wait to call him that okay? For right now, his name is Mr. Drake okay?" Nicki rubbed her arms reassuringly.

"Okay mommy," Darcie didn't even try to hide her disappointment which made Nicki feel terrible on the inside. "Come on baby, let's get your mac and cheese and you can have whatever dessert you want."

"Really?!" Darcie's eyes lit up and Nicki gave her a sad smile. "Really." Nicki reassured her before escorting her to the table...

-------------------

Part 2 coming very soon, but let us know what you think. What's going to happen? Will Darcie let the truth slip? Does drake already know something? Vote and Comment guys!

Much Appreciated

_PaintedPyramids & Fyesdrizzy X