15

"Daddy what did you do to Mommy?"
Ezra's POV
"Mason, your mommy is really hurt" I told him and he bent down to snuggle Hope.
"I asked you a question!" Mason shouted and Hope covered her ears. "What did you do to Mommy?"
"I didn't do anything!" I shouted back "she fell and hit her head"
Mason didn't look very sure.
"Please bring your sister inside. The people need to come in and help your mommy" I said and he nodded.
He pulled Hope inside and sat her down on the couch where she snuggled into his little chest.
Minutes later, Aria was on a stretcher getting wheeled out of the apartment. A police officer had taken the kids with him. I assured him that I could take care of them but he said I had other things to worry about. Before I went to the hospital, I had to read the note. I found it covered in blood. The words were still readable though.

My Ezra,
I love you so much but the guilt is too much. I have caused you so much pain and I can't handle knowing that. Take care of the kids.
- Aria

I thought back to earlier and what she said. She said she couldn't live knowing she'd hurt me. Had she really meant that? Had she tried to kill herself? I left the note on the table and drove to the hospital. I ran to the front desk and they said she was in surgery. They had to pump her stomach. I waited impatiently. Wondering if she would be alright. Wondering if I had caused this. Wondering where our kids were. A thousand questions ran through my mind. My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of her name being called. I loved the sound of her name. I stood up and approached the nurse.
"Are you a family member?" She asked, writing on her clipboard.
"I was" I say and she scrunched her eyebrows.
"Which means you aren't one now?"
"Well, we're divorced but we have two kids together and we're back together" I spoke fast.
They had to tell me what was wrong with her.
"The police were supposed to bring the kids here. Have you seen them? Two little brown haired ones. The boy has blue eyes and the girl has brown"
"Yes they were here" She says
"I guess I'm authorized to tell you what's wrong with her"
She scans the clipboard once more before talking.
"You're ex wife has some major issues going on" She shakes her head. "She has bleach in her system. Her head was banged up pretty bad. Her wrists are sliced. She overdosed on many pills"
The list seems endless.
"So what does that mean?" I ask
"It means she tried to kill herself"