Declared War

Shadow’s POV.

“My lord, what is it this time? You’re looking most troubled.” Espio asked standing over me as I lounged about in my chair. Troubled indeed, Amy would be married to that blue waffle of a hedgehog and I’d be forbidden to see the only other person that gave me the time of day.

“Has something happened to your love? Is she alright?” he asked when I didn’t answer.

“She is well. Due to be married soon to Sonic of the North.” I explained monotone with no enthusiasm, all feeling seemed to have fled me. No emotion could surface, not even hate. I’ve dived down straight into limbo; nothing would bring me happiness like Amy would.

“How unfortunate.” Espio grumbled bowing his head.

Unfortunate… hasn’t my life been nothing but unfortunate…?

“Come now don’t be a lost Romeo.” Espio put a hand on my shoulder, “You have many babes here to nurture your heart and help you get over the loss.”

Indeed I have many, but none compare anything to Amy. My life had been pointless for many years until now; she gave me reason, new hopes and made me look up again. I should have listened to Rouge, and not have gotten involved.

“Thought to be ruthless and selfish, yet letting the woman who has your heart, marry another with not even a fight.” Espio said in disbelief.

“Then maybe I’m not so selfish after all…” I grumbled, “If I fight for her, I’ll be accused of invading her home crashing a wedding and kidnapping! That’s all I need, to stroke more fear into the eyes of others.” I clenched my fist in a spark of anger; I wanted to fight for her so bad.

“Hmm, I’ve heard that if you love you let go, if they comeback that is how you know the love is really yours.”

“Then she could face punishment if she ever got caught.”

Espio sighed, “Have a drink and relax.” He motioned for a servant to bring some alcohol and another led in two girls that took a spot on my chair to ‘help’ ease my aching heart. But their faces annoyed me, their touches made my quills rise hoping they’d poke themselves, my ears went flat as they handed me a cup filled with my drink and pressed their bodies against me tipping the cup letting me drink. The alcohol gave me a familiar tingling burn in my chest as I swallowed it back, almost the warmth I felt when I held Amy in my arms, and matching the exact feeling she gave me when we kissed. By the bottom of my cup I wasn’t as annoyed and my quills lied back as I was no relaxed, but still in depression. Is this how the rest of my life will be? Drowning my sorrows in alcohol and masking that feeling of love with the women in my chambers? My cup was refilled and given again. I saw my reflection on the surface of the liquid for only a moment before the girls brought it to my lips and tipped it again letting me drink. Their hands softly felt up and down my stomach, and swirled the fur on my chest. So practiced, with no meaning or true feelings. Even though they pretended they loved every second of it…they couldn’t possibly. I hated it, it wasn’t real… but now it’s all I have.

Suddenly there was an ear shattering scream from a woman just outside the door. It made all of us jump, the two girls clung to me for dear life, Espio drew his sword at the very instant and our eyes were fixed on the door waiting. The door cracked open, Rouge darting in panting out of breath.

“Rouge, give me a report! What’s going on?!” Espio demanded keeping his weapon on the ready.

“The North has declared war upon us. Sonic has led his army here letting them do as they please but he’s after you Shadow.” She tried holding her back to the door hoping to keep it locked.

“Your highness, please take shelter, I’ll handle them!” Espio turned to me. I didn’t understand… war, but why, what did I do this time!? There was no way I was running from this fight; it was good I hadn’t gotten drunk. I sent the two girls into hiding for their safety, but I stayed put.

The doors burst open, a crowd of armed soldiers ran through wearing the crest of the North. Rouge screamed being taken by one of them forced against the wall fighting for her life; Espio took no hesitation and began to take on everyone coming in his direction.

There, I spotted him. The blue hedgehog looking right back at me, he smiled narrowing his eyes at me. At the sight of his anger, I knew he must have seen us at Green hill today, somehow.