Inadvertently in Love 05

Chapter 05

“Kill the parents. I think they are a part of witch clans. Otherwise, how can they become successful in a short time, huh?” A man in his forties was yelling to the crowd in front of them. I could see all of their menacing faces. What were they talking about?

When I was trying to know what was actually going on from the window, father pulled me away from my peeking spot and ordered me frantically, “Blake, I know it’s hard for you. You are a clever boy and can you please promise me to protect your mother and brothers?”

“Dad . . . I . . .” I stuttered, having no idea what to say. His frantic expression let me know that something was seriously wrong here. But, did I ready?

“Answer me like a man, Son! I know it’s hard for a fourteen-year-old like you, but this is important.” He looked at me sadly and somehow I knew that I wouldn’t meet him again. I nodded and he hugged me tightly. He whispered softly, “I’m sorry for giving these heavy burdens to you. But you are the oldest and I’m so proud of you. I love you, Son!”

When he released his hug, I felt empty. I would just stand there, if he didn’t shout to me.  “Now, go!”He motioned to the person behind me to take me go. It was my mother. I saw when she cried and hugged him. I knew she wanted to stay with him, if there were no us.

That night, I ran with my mother, little Sean and little Miles, leaving our old home behind. I could see from far away, when it was burnt to the ground with my father inside. I could hear his voice clearly. His pain, his agony, his scream were filling the eerie night. It was etched in my memory forever.

I woke up with a bad headache and a painful heart. When I was still a boy –right after we were running away, I always screamed whenever I dreamt of it, making my mother worry. She always cried and hugged me to sleep. I hated to do that to her, making her sad, so I learned to be as quiet as possible. I held the scream inside me and it became a habit. I just clenched my jaws, letting the agony hit me in full force.

Even when my mother died of heartache not long after father’s dead, the nightmare was never gone. Sometimes it didn’t show up and sometimes I could get them every day, making the pain never go away.

Luckily, the boys didn’t remember that specific memory, because they were too young at that time. Sean was five and Miles two. I tried my hardest to be a good brother, hoping both of them would become fine men. Protecting them until they became successful and maybe getting married.

I scratched my head and felt the sweat covering my whole body. Feeling uncomfortable, I decided to take a bath, removing the beads of sweat. I looked at the clock before going into the bathroom; it was two a.m. Sighing, I knew that I would get no more sleep after this. I shook my head and went along with my previous plan. I always thought by taking a bath, I could remove the nightmare. It never worked.

After that, I decided to go to the kitchen. I felt my throat dry and needed something to drink. Going to the kitchen quietly, I opened the drawer. There were a lot of choices, including Jack Daniels. I wanted to choose it so bad, but decided against it. I didn’t want my little girl to smell the alcohol and I didn’t want her to witness her father getting drunk. It might numb my pain for a little while, but was it worth it? No.

Instead I chose water. I poured myself a glass of cold water and drank in a gulp. I felt the coldness pouring into me, it felt nice and fresh at the same time. After the effect was gone, I couldn’t help but replaying the nightmare in my mind. It was more like a memory than nightmare, because it was real. He was gone, because of other people’s jealousy. My father was a successful rancher in less than two years, making some enemies in the process. They wanted to be him.