Chapter 4 - Stranger Danger?

Kaysia

"Kira? Where are you, my angel?" Tawag ko kay Kira from the terrace. She should be out here in the garden, playing with her toys her Tito Kayden and Tita Kayleigh gifted her.

I scanned my mother's garden where I left Kira to play with her dolls and her tea party set. But the table was empty. No sign of Kira..

Nagsimula akong kabahan.

"Mommy?" Sigaw ko. "Yes dear?" Mom shouted back from downstairs. "Mom, is Kira there?"

"Kira? She's outside in the garden, playing!"

"Mommy, wala sya dit—" my eyes wondered off to the opened gates. And there I saw my little angel standing beside a shiny black car, talking to the driver of the car. Agad akong kinabahan. A hand ruffled my daughter's hair and my mommy instinct got a hold of me.

"Kira?! Kira! Come back inside, Angel!" Sigaw ko kay Kira. She turned to look at me and smiled. Then she waved. She leaned over to the car, said something to the driver and pointed at me. Hindi na ako nag dalawang isip at kumaripas na nang takbo sa baba.

"Kaysia, ano ba?! Sisirain mo ang hagdan ko?" Mommy scolded but I didn't have time to even stop to talk to her. "Kaysia? Kaysia!" She called out.

Napaparanoid na ako. Is my daughter being kidnapped?! Why was the gate open anyway?!

"Kira! Kira, come here at once!" Sigaw ko kay Kira. She waved at the stranger in the car before walking towards our house. The car drove away after that.

"Kira! What did I told you about talking to strangers?!" Hindi ko na napigilan at marahas na hinila si Kira papasok ng gate. Was it Kayden who left the gate open? Perhaps Kayleigh? Damn it!

"But mommy, he's no stranger at all!" Kira said weakly. "And what did I told you about going outside, Kira? Didn't I told you you're not allowed to go outside unless you're together with me or your Tito and Tita?!" Sigaw ko as I slammed the gate shut, making Kira flinch.

"Sorry mommy." She said, her lips trembling. Lumuhod ako to level myself with her. "Who were you talking to, Kira?" I tried to calm myself down. But heck, that scared me. Kira's not the type of girl to talk to anyone unless I give her permission to. She's shy around strangers too. That car was unfamiliar. "You won't believe me if I tell you, mommy!"

"Isa, Kira!" Pananakot ko. She held up the pink ball she was holding, the one she got from daddy. "Mommy, I was trying to catch my ball. It went through there." She said and pointed at the gate. The ball sure was small enough para makalusot sa gate namin. "He helped me."

"He? Sinong "He", Kira?"
"He's friendly, mommy.."

"I don't care! What did I told you about strangers?!" I scolded. "I told you he's not a stranger! He's daddy!" Kira cried. Agad akong napahinto. "Kira, what did you say?" I asked.. Tama ba ang narinig ko?

"Didn't I tell you your daddy is in a safe place in heaven, Kira? What is this all about?" Yes, I know. I'm a cruel mom. I told her her daddy died before she was born. What was I supposed to say? My daughter was asking about her dad, and I couldn't tell her the truth about him!

"Mommy he said he could be my daddy so I wouldn't be sad anymore." Nonsense! That man probably was a sick pedophile! Goddamn it!

"Pumasok ka sa bahay Kira, right now! Go to your room and think about what you just did! You brat! Did you know how worried I was? What if that man was a kidnapper and decided to kidnap you? What is mommy supposed to do?!" Sigaw ko sa anak ko. "But mommy, he is kind! He helped me get my ball and told me he could be my da—"

"Enough! I don't want to hear about this ever again! Go to your room, Kira!"

"Kaysia! What are you doing?!" Suway ni mommy. Kira ran inside the house at napahawak nalang ako ng sentido ko.

The main gates opened and Kayden pulled over to the garage. Bumaba sya ng sasakyan kasama si Kayleigh.

"You two! Come here!" Inis kong gunita. Agad naman sumunod ang dalawa kong nakababatang kapatid.

"What is it, Ate?" Kayleigh asked. "Sino sainyong dalawa ang nagiwan ng gate na nakabukas?"

"Huh? Uh, si Kayleigh huling lumabas but you closed it shut, didn't you?" Kayden answered, pointing to Kayleigh. "Yea, of course I did! I always do."

"Yea? Then why was Kira outside just now? The gate was opened, Kayleigh! How many times do I have to tell you to close the freaking gate shut? Paano kung nasagasaan ang anak ko, ha?!" Singhal ko kay Kayleigh. "Wait, what?" She said, her eyes popped open.

"Ate, I swear sinara ko yung gate after kong lumabas!"

"So are you saying Kira managed to open that gate on her own, huh, Kayleigh?"

"N-no. But—"

"What is this all about? The gate was closed anak. I know because I double checked right after Kayden and Kayleigh went out." Singit naman ni mommy.
"Are you saying nakalabas si Kira?" Kayden asked. God, it's stressing me out.

"Yes, Kayden! She was out there, damn it! Talking to a man she doesn't even know!" Sigaw ko kay Kayden, making him step back a bit. "Kumalma ka nga! How could Kira manage to open the gate kung hindi nya nga kayang abutin yung lock?" Irita narin ang boses ni Kayden na sumagot saakin.

"I don't know! Cause apparently, one of you left the gate opened! Or perhaps one of the maids! I don't freaking know, Kayden!" I was shocked to even find my daughter out in the street kanina.

"Kaysia, none of the maids went out earlier. The last ones to ever leave this house were Kayleigh and Kayden and I swear the gate was locked. I know because I checked din nung lumabas ako para dalhan ng lemonade si Kira." Mommy placed her hand on my shoulder..

My brows furrowed. Paano nakalabas si Kira, then? Maliit pa ang anak ko para maabot ang lock. Besides, she struggles to even push that damn gate herself. It doesn't make any sense!! Paano makakalabas ang anak ko kung hindi nya nga kayang buksan yung punyetang pintuan?! Isa lang ang ibig sabihin nito.. May nagiwan ng punyetang gate na yan na bukas!

Or....

Hindi kaya....

"Then that means that goddamn man opened the gate for her!" I said and ran towards the house.