Phone Call

My breath comes out foggy as I heave a heavy sigh. Shoving my gloved hands into my coat, I watch the sun begin to set over the horizon while I sit lazily on the park bench. The lamppost beside me had long been gathering frost around its structure, and it had oddly been a reminder of the last few months of my life, for the past three weeks. Sighing once more, I watch as the sky turns a brilliant yellow and pink.

'I think we should take some time off.' His recent phone call bounces around my head as the sky continues to dress itself with different colors. Each shift reminds of how easily emotions can change all too soon.

Apricot, 'I love you, and I'm certain of you being in my future.'

Orange, 'I could just stay in this bed with you all day.'

Yellow, 'A day just simply isn't enough.'

Pink, 'We may not be in the same place at the same time but you'll always be in my mind.'

Magenta, 'I miss you . . . ', and a heavy sigh.

Blue, 'Time to think would probably be what's best for now.'

Indigo, 'I'm tired. I'll call you in the morning.', dial tone before I can even respond.

Sniffling, I rub the dust off my eyes. Grabbing the umbrella from my side, I force myself to stand up no matter how hard my whole body protests. The stars blink down on me now, telling me that you were bound to call soon. I try to hurry so as not to miss the ringing of my telephone, but then my mind wonders.

Do I really want to hear the words from the other line?