11.The dream in water.

•°Heroes are just ordinary people willing to be strong , a little longer°•

============================

Africa tried to save herself but the water fought against her violently and she began to drown. If it was the will of the Lesa that she die in his sacred waters , who was she to opppose it . Maybe this was her fate for letting her family perish.

She closed her eyes slowly as the water flooded her nostrils. Her head began to fill dizzy and soon all she could see was pitch black, even the pain of all the water crushing against the walls of her chest had died ,until all she felt was numbness.

Suddenly her eyes opened a bright light surrounded her in the water, hurting her eyes. Her image blurred, and when she could finally focus. Images flashed before her randomly like some sort of revelation . She saw a story unravel before her in great detail. It almost felt real, too real. It was a story between a man and a woman defying all racial boundaries , becoming warriors and coming together to save a dying nation. She saw everything, power, love and the last was unmistakable, an heir.

Then It finally hit her , the story was all about her . But she wasn't ready.No no no no. She was only sixteen . Lesa had to had made a mistake. Before she could plead to Lesa to take back her destiny, everything vanished .

Everything had returned to blurriness and once again she was in pitch black . Silence and darkness engulfed her as she felt herself being lifted.

==========================

Africa woke up to the voices of her Nasenges (partenal aunties) arguing over the meals to cook for the Chilanga Mulilo (show of fire) at the edge of her dried mud bed.

" No Kasuba.....we shall fry the meat not roast it .....you will see...Chanda will absolutely love it "

" Nema !, awe naiwe ninshi taufwila .... problem is you are so stuborn ..... Mushebwa aile namafi kubuko ! .."

Before Nema could snap back at her mpundu she realised Africa was finally awake and staring at them both with a weak smile on her face.

" look .....our Mwana-Senge is awake let us ask her ...!!.... should we fry or roast the meat for the Chilanga Mulilo, my dear?"

Mayo-senge Kasuba was confident that Africa would choose hers and though Mayo-senge Nema was Africa's favourite Aunty, she couldn't disappoint either of them. Kasuba never took dissapoint well , her sunny smile would disappear and she would going into sulking mode. Being the youngest in the family by five minutes, she was entitled to some level of childishness even at 23 years.

" I think Mayo-senge Kasuba is right ....we should roast it...."

A triumphant look crossed Kasuba's face and she spoke ,

" What did I tell you Nema? .... problem is you never listen....let me go and tell Bana Kutemwa ...." ,and with that she left the hunt in quick , unladylike and jovial elastics steps.

When they were all alone, Africa studied her paternal aunt . She was an ageless beauty but sadness always seemed to lie in her wake, despite that, she always tried to find something to be happy about. she was a great soul and she added radiant beauty to the atmosphere like her fraternal twin, Kasuba. Nema had deep , flawless chocolate skin that could withstand any weather unlike Kasuba's easily damaged beautiful coffee coloured skin. But both had short hair and Africa got her big cheeks from them. Nema meant 'Grace' and Kasuba ' sun '. They both did live up to their names in one way or another.

" Mwana-senge? "

"Mhm Mayo-senge?" , Africa said in an unusual tone , that was not like her at all . Something was wrong and her Nasenge could fill it.

"Child, talk to me ........what is wrong? ...are you worried about the wedding rituals? ...do not worry ...we will be with you all the way---"

" But what about after marriage, what if Chanda never accepts me as his wife ....I know not the ways of the whitemen....you know he is very fond of their customs ......I can not even speak there English....."

" You know your father was a traveller, a great explorer. He travelled many lands before he met your mother ...." she said stroking her hair gently, "On one of his journeys, he camped with the Umofia-kwenu and they taught him many great things .....but one lesson remained with him for the rest of his life ....."

Africa's eyes lit up, she knew what her aunt was going to say .

" Let the eagle perch, let the kite perch too ....and if one says no to the other , may his wings break....." , they both said at the same time.

" Chanda is a modern man , I agree ...but the blood of the Lubemba runs stubborn strong in his veins .....even the whiteman clothes he wears cannot mask who he is , no matter how many layers he wears....and you where brought together by something stronger than blood, Lesa......Chanda has no right to change you into what you donot desire to become .....always remember that Africa ...."

Africa let the words of her Aunty sink in and then she hugged her. Her mayo-senge was a very wise woman. She wondered why Lesa had shut up her womb and given her so much never ending sorrow. Clearly she didn't deserve it.

"Mwana-senge now shall we go join the other women ......the day is fading away " , her Nasenge said smiling at her.

Africa picked out a black wrapper with four gold horizontal widely spaced lines at the bottom. She washed her hands and face . Then she went out to greet her elders. Everyone was busy preparing for her Chilanga Mulilo the next day .