17. Nkobekela

*

Nkobekela is the period that goes from the time that the insalamu is accepted by the woman’s side up to marriage or wedding day. During this time the two partners get to know each other and their families better.

***
The African sun shone bright into the small window of Africa's hut as she combed her hair. It was the beginning of her Nkobekela,  the period she would truely get to know Chanda for he was. She was both scared and excited about the events that would occur in the 14 days they had before the marriage .

As she combed her hair,  memories of Chiti flooded her mind , Chiti always combed her hair in a special way and this made her sad.  She didn't want to live a life without her bestfriend and she couldn't help feeling Chiti was alive somewhere needing her help .

" Africa, Chiti is gone .......forget about her .....", she told herself as she brushed her teeth with her wooden toothstick  , dipping it into salt and mint leaves water and trushing it into her mouth .

" Are you done yet? ...."

Nema said cheerfully walking in hurriedly , Kasuba following behind her.

Africa looked at them both, smiling. she was so lucky to have two people looking out for her , like they did. She would miss
them so much after marriage.

" Yes...just folding a few more wrappers into the bundle ......"

"Lesa! ...... Africa all these clothes?! !!....its not like you're going for a year ... you'll be there for only 7 days ..the rest of your Nkobekelo will be here ...." ,

Kasuba said  as she stared at the clothes wide-eyed in disbelief . Her expression was so exaggerated that Nema burst into laughter ,making Africa blush. Kasuba always had a way of turning even the most serious things into a laughing matter.

Seeing Africa's flushed face , Nema spoke trying to restrain her laughter .

" Oh don't get like that ... you know mayo-senge Kasu is just pulling your leg...it is essential for a soon to-be-bride to carry so many clothes to her inlaws,  to show that her family treated her like a gem...and so the inlaws should do like wise....."

Kasuba rolled her eyes,  her sister was so cultured...sometimes she wondered if she was born a Banachibusa.

" are you ready yet?" , she said, " Chanda arrive at cock crow and We left Ba mbuyaa with him.  You know how she can get at times ..... let's go out of the hut before she starts revealing all your childhood secrets...."

Africa put on the last of the red beads on her feet, that made a jingling sound as she walked. She was wearing a crimson wrapper with two large golden horizontal lines just at the bottom. The wrapper outlined all her features in great detail. It was tight enough to show that she was a woman but loose enough to show that she was a lady . She wore a l long  red necklace that circled her neck atleast thrice.  Black beads adorned her waist making her bosom appear desirably large   . Her wrists and arms where also adorned with scarlet coloured beads . Her long curly hair was left untied which made her look like a goddess.

As she stepped out of the hut,  Chanda's mouth dropped in awe and his throat became dry. He had never seen a more breathtaking sight than Africa in that moment.

He was wearing a long match wrapper that touched his toes and golden sandals .

" My child ..." , Ba mbuya said with a smile  as  Africa stepped closer.

" mm Ma", she replied .

" Lesa be with you my child ..."

" Thankyou ... may all be well with you ..."

She got into the royal ox-cart and they started there journey to the palace to meet Chanda's family. Nema and Kasuba waved her goodbye and somehow she felt uneasy about leaving home..

***

Sweethearts💜
How are you? ???
I'm sorry if you pm'd me and I didn't reply ..😢
The thing is I'm using free
wattpad (vote and I might tell you how to use it 😂😂✋)

But on free wattpad you cant text ..😌

Vote and comment

Put your girlie on the map⚡
don't be a passenger
Share your thoughts
p.s all this is unedited
stay in touch? 😍😍
I know you will😌
You smart📚👌
You loyal💜👀

I appreciate that🙌😌

Love Taizyaah~👑💜♥