Chapter Ten

"I'll make you the most powerful and feared priestess," Rai's image said in a hypnotic voice, those grotesque hands still extended

Rai recoiled until her back pressed against the opposite wall.

"Ra is no more. It is time for Egypt to know Quatesh." The image in the mirror wore a fierce scowl, their voice growing gruffer and loud. "They will bow to me and set up temples and altars in my name. And you..." The reflection's green eyes pinned Rai with a searing gaze. "You will be my high priestess."

Rai shook her head and turned from the mirror. She was no longer interested in the offer. This... this Quatesh. No, she preferred Ra to this. The fact that the image was her exact reflection, save for the ugly wrinkled hands protruding from the mirror, was enough to trigger madness.

"No. This is not happening. I am going crazy." Rai chanced another glance at the image and shook her head. "I serve only Ra. It is only his bidding I obey. I—"

Rai's words died on her lips when her reflection swelled into a thing of nightmares. A gigantic trunk of what appeared to be an albino serpent poured from the mirror in enormous curls and hit the floor with a dull thud. Her scream froze on her lips when she was confronted by the sheer size of him. Twisting his heavy frame into a tall pile, he leered down at her, baring menacing sword-like fangs. The massive size of him caused the room to shrink in Rai's eyes.

As if snapped out of a deep trance, Rai released a weak excuse of a scream and scampered to the farthest corner of her room. There she cowered, closing her eyes with her hands and muttering prayers to Ra for rescue.

"Stop uttering pathetic prayers and look at me," the serpent commanded in a deep masculine voice.

Not wanting to anger him further, Rai dropped her trembling hands and lifted her head. She kept her eyes firmly shut though, too terrified to take a second look.

"Open your eyes." The serpent's voice grew low with a threat.

Rai slowly opened her eyes and swallowed her heart down her throat.

Quatesh looked down at Rai. "You are foolish to still pray to Ra. You should be aware of his incompetence by now. He failed Egypt."

Rai swallowed again and quickly turned away. "I-I'm sorry," she said as she stared at the floor intently, hoping to awake from this nightmare.

"You are never to mention the name Ra again. You serve Quatesh now. Do you understand?"

"But...Ra has b—"

Quatesh heaved forward and encircled Rai's frame, constricting her as he lifted her to his large scaly face. Wheezing in sheer terror, she stared into green eyes that had black slits for irises. In his anger, Quatesh resembled a cobra with its hood fully spread. The action gave his large form an even larger appearance that froze Rai, cutting her ability to think or act.