Chapter 1: The ticking of a clock

Sitting in the kitchen by myself and being forced to wait for the ominous to arrive, made me realise just how loud the ticking of a clock could be. It was the only sound I could hear besides the biting of my nails and it seemed as if I did it in time with the ticking.

"We need to talk in the evening."

I knew from experience that nothing good ever had come after these words, and when Dom left this morning right after saying them, I couldn't help but panic. Since then I had been on pins and needles.

The whole day memories were merciless crossing my mind, reminding me of the odd behaviour Dominic had shown over the past few weeks. A behaviour so odd, I had chosen to look the other way, hoping it was just a matter of time before things would go back to normal. I momentarily stopped biting my nails just to groan in frustration. I hated confrontation and usually tried to avoid arguments, but right now, I had this aggravating sensation that I should have brought things up earlier. Now all I could do was wait for him to come home, helpless and angry with myself for being such a scaredy cat.

"The guys and I will be going out tonight. There will be live music playing."

I looked up from the piece of bread that I was buttering, noticing how it was a mere informing about the plans he had for tonight. Not long ago he would have asked if I was okay with it. But not now, whether I had plans for us or not, Dom would be spending the evening with his friends. I tried to hide the hurt that rushed through my body in thick waves.

"Are Marco and Stephen bringing Natalie and Lena?" Quickly I took a mouthful of coffee as I heard my voice was cracking.

"No, they're going to the cinema." Dom wasn't even bothered to look up from the newspaper he was reading.

In the beginning, Dominic and I had spent every single weekend together. Of course, this had stopped after a while and one evening was exclusively for seeing friends. But after four years Dom slowly became less interested in date nights. I never really noticed it, but now that I thought of it, eyes fixed on the clock that was still ticking in a steady rhythm, I couldn't even remember the last time we had been out together. It definitely hadn't been within the last month.

Instead, he'd been out with his four best friends all the time, crashing every party there was in town. I'd never been worried or jealous, all of his friends were in relationships and Dom and I talked about everything. Well, we used to.

Our conversations, just like our sex life, had slowly closed in on the zero. Besides politely asking about our days and work or deciding on what to watch on TV, we hadn't talked a lot lately.

With every thought that crossed my mind, my heart grew heavier. I could feel the tears filling my eyes and tried hard to fight them back. My left hand was holding my throat as I swallowed the lump in it.

I flinched as I heard the creaking of my front door. He's here! Pull yourself together, Josie!

Hectically I ran my hands over my face and went to the kitchen counter. Just in time I managed to get a grip on a towel and pretended to clean the faucet as Dom entered the kitchen.

"Hello, Josie."

You used to call me honey.

"Why so serious? What happened to sweetie and honey pop?" The fake smile faded immediately as I turned around and looked at him.

"Yeah about that... Why don't you sit down with me for a moment?" Not a single emotion, whether in his voice nor the way he looked at me.

I don't want to hear it. Please, don't let this be happening!