Chapter 3: Timeout

"Josie, can I have a word with you?"

I heard Martha's voice behind me as I was tidying up the playroom. The ground was covered with toy cars in all colours. A red Ferrari, a white Rolls Royce,  a black Bentley, they all had been carelessly thrown to the ground. Although some of the toddlers were still in their nappies, they knew instantly that the arrival of Mommy meant it was time to go home. Minutes before, those cars had caused them to throw a tantrum if you dared to take them away from them. But hearing their mother's sweet purring, the precious toys were instantly tossed on the ground and worthless. 

"Sure, I'll just finish this room, if that's alright," I answered without turning to her. I could feel my stomach rumbling as an unpleasant feeling spread its way through my body. Nervously I started to bite my bottom lip as I tried to think about something I'd done wrong. 

Martha sat down next to me and helped me to put the toys back into their boxes. We sat there in silence and within minutes the room was clean. Martha often joked about how we were a well-oiled machine, there was no need to talk when the two of us were working together. 

"Would you like a cup of tea?" Martha smiled at me as she got up. She held out her arm and helped me to get on my feet. I nodded, still unsure what to think of this situation. 

We walked to the kitchen in silence and were greeted by a little boy with caramel brown skin, big doe eyes and the happiest smile.

 "Jojo!!!" He exclaimed and came running to me, his little hands picking on my trousers, begging to be picked up. I did him the favour and tousled his dark curls as I snuggled him.

"Hey Tommy, what are you still doing here?" I could feel the tiniest smile forming on my face. This little boy just got everyone twisted around his chubby little fingers. 

"Daddy is coming soon!" He looked at me with serious facial expression. His eyebrows frowning, gave him a stern appearance. Suddenly the little sunshine looked older than three. 

I smiled at him before I let him down. "That's great! Why don't you go and play with Mona until Daddy comes?" 

His face lit up and then he ran into another room where Mona was looking after the other kids.

With a deep sigh, I sat down on the table, burying my face into my hands. These days even smiling cost me a lot of energy. Then I could hear a cup being put on the table in front of me. 

"Jos, how are you?" Martha looked at me with concern as she took a seat vis-à-vis. 

"I've been better," I said with a half-hearted smile. There was no point in lying, Martha knew me too well.

"Have you heard from Dom again?" 

"No, not until the break-up." I focused my attention on the steaming cup in front of me, trying hard to hold back the tears. 

"We're worried about you Josie. It's been three weeks and we haven't seen you laughing once. And I don't mean those forced smiles towards the children but an honest giggle."

I kept my eyes fixed on the cup, feeling the lump in my throat.

"I just don't feel like laughing."

I could feel Martha reaching out for my hands. "And that's okay Josie. Please, look at me for a second." 

I forced myself to do so, my vision already blurry from the tears. 

"Josie, usually you're always happy around the kids. Not because you have to be, but because they make you happy. It's what they love about you, they know how much you care about them. And we love it too. Over the years there'd been a few times that we've seen you coming here in the morning angry, depressed or sad. But it never took longer than an hour before you were smiling again."