Chapter 20: Baths of Caracalla

While Andrew and I had dinner together the night before, the others decided that the next day called for some wellness. The plan was to sightsee the Baths of Caracalla in the morning and spend some time at a Spa in the afternoon. They'd informed Andrew via text message and asked him if I'd join them as well. A warm feeling had spread through my body as he told me about the invitation. It felt comforting to be so welcome.

Twelve hours later, I didn't feel comforted as I walked up the hill to the remains of the giant thermae. Steph's ginger hair was shining in the sun and I could see them from far away. With every step I got closer, the aggravating rumbling in my stomach intensified. It had started the minute I left my apartment, the thoughts in my mind constantly turning around Dom's message. On the way to the metro station, I thought about answering the text. I tried to find the right words to sound casual. By the time I'd made it into the subway I'd decided not to react. Instead, I analyzed his message into the minutest detail while I stared at the phone in my hand. Was he flirting or just being nice?

When I arrived at my destination, I didn't want to think about him anymore. He didn't deserve it. So I focused on the Baths of Caracalla but Dom kept flashing in the back of my mind like an annoying alarm. As if my nerves weren't on alert already, meeting Andrew made me feel sick as well. Hannah's lecture unsettled me, I hadn't thought about the potential impact of the kiss. To be more precise, I hadn't thought about Andrew or his feelings. It didn't occur to me that he could take it as more than it actually was, a hasty action. 

There were only a few meters left that separated us, I could already make out their facial expressions and when they smiled at me, all I wanted to do was run away. It felt as if I was on the way to my execution. My stomach constricted with fear and I could taste bile inside my mouth. Did I have to tell Andrew that the kiss didn't mean anything? How was I supposed to greet him? 

A wave of panic came crashing over me at the thought that he might expected me to kiss him again. In front of the others. Seconds later I realized how foolish my thought was and that no grown man would ever expect this. At least that's what I hoped. 

"Good morning Josie. I'm so happy to see you again!" 

Mim's angelic voice cut through my dark thoughts like a sharp knife and the weight of her arms around me took me by surprise. I was engulfed by the scent of her shampoo when she buried her head in my shoulders. I tried my best not to lose my balance at her exuberant embrace. My arms wrapped around her waist without much effort even though I was stunned by her enthusiasm. Why was she so happy to see me?

"It's good to see you too, Mim."

Holding her felt a bit awkward, especially since she didn't let go. This was more than a quick embrace to greet someone. 

"Let that poor girl go, Mim!"

Sam's amused chuckle interrupted our proximity and when Mim stepped away from me, her cheeks were blushing in a distinct shade of red. 

"Not everyone's so full of energy in the morning, you know."

Sam winked at Mim as he walked towards me. 

"Morning, duckling."

And as he leaned down for a quick hug, I could hear him whisper in my ear.

"Don't worry, you'll get used to it."

His embrace was short yet sincere. After Steph greeted me with a peck on each cheek, my muscles relaxed a little. Something about the way they treated me, made me feel that they didn't know about the kiss. I took it as a good thing. 

Greeting Paul felt more awkward. We simply shook hands, neither of us being able to look the other in the eye. Getting to know him felt more challenging, he didn't seem to be the type that warmed up easily. Neither did I, so I guess we had something in common.