Chapter 17: Help from a friend

"If we continue like this, I'll blow up like a balloon in no time."

A stifled groan escaped my lips right before I gulped down the last bite of my hazelnut ice cream. With my eyes closed, I ran the tip of my tongue over my chilly lips to make sure I tasted every last bit of the lush treat. Although I wasn't the kind of woman counting calories, I was surprised by the amount of food I'd shoved down my mouth.

"I don't see the problem. Nothing better than a woman with a booty."

I didn't need turning to Andrew, I knew how cheeky he must look right now. His eyes probably glistening with mischief and a huge smirk plastered across his face. With our shoulders already touching, I gave him a gentle shove without being able to hide a smile. I was still leaning in when he put his arms around my waist, pulling me closer to him. Flustered I looked up at him with my lashes tickling my eyelids. Our eyes met and I was surprised to see his filled with affection. I felt my cheeks blushing and rested my head on his shoulder in an attempt to hide it. 

Suddenly, my heart was pounding faster than it should but I was filled with peace when I looked down the Spanish Steps. We were sitting on top and beneath us were tourists enjoying the sunlight, some of them reading a book while others were taking pictures. Another fountain was at the foot of the steps, the water splashing in a steady rhythm, unlike my breathing. It was a little louder than usually and I wondered if Andrew could hear it. His proximity felt somehow intimidating but I was glad to find his arm remaining around my waist. 

"This is so much better than the Vatican."

I could feel his deep voice resonating in his chest. We'd left the café thinking that we would catch up with Mim and Paul and visit St. Peter's Basilica together. Strolling down the streets is what we needed after our feast but we soon noticed that neither of us felt like sightseeing. Instead, we'd treated ourselves to an ice cream in the sun after Andrew texted Mim. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, inhaling the scent of flowers and Andrew's perfume.

"True. Could there be anything better than this?"

My arms got covered in goosebumps when Andrew's cheek touched the top of my head.

"Don't think so. Except maybe sitting on top of a mountain."

I could feel the movement of his jaw against my head. It felt like a massage. 

"Or sitting on the beach with the waves breaking at your feet."

The thought of it made me smile. I loved the seaside, peaceful and infinite. It was what freedom felt like to me. 

An unexpected impact on my back caused me to stumble forward. It happened so fast that I couldn't even try to protect myself from the fall. Startled, I squinted my eyes and waited for the pain to flash through my body. Instead, I felt Andrew's grip tighten and pulling me back. The rucksack to my feet got pushed down the step due to my sudden movement and I opened my eyes to the sound of it falling down the stair. 

"Mon dieu, Pardonnez-moi!"

A high-pitched voice behind me caused me to turn around and find a blonde woman with huge sunglasses and pouting lips staring down at me. Her hands were raised in front of her mouth in a shocked manner and I could see a man behind her holding a camera, as if taking a picture of her. I didn't speak French, so I just shook my head and got up to collect my belongings that had been spread over several steps. Hastily I put my wallet, tampons and the keys to my apartment back into the rucksack before anyone else could see them. My stomach constricted with fear when I saw the Polaroid camera on one of the steps. I rushed to get it, checking for possible damage. There was a scratch on the bottom but the lens seemed to be fine. Carefully I switched it on and peaked through the viewfinder. Aiming the focus at Andrew I took a picture of him bending down.