Motives

Ayano shut the door just in time for the breakdown to take full effect.
She fell to her knees with a loud thud, wanting to scream, but knowing that there was no way that Budo would have gotten far enough away from the house to not here her.
As she breathed heavily, her mind once again took over.
"He knows senpai..."
"You could use that to your advantage..."
"What's one more victim, anyway..."
She could feel the tears forming at the corner of her eyes. Of all the people... of all of the godforsaken people who roam those halls every day... it had to be him. Of all the people in that school, Budo had to be one that senpai trusts.
It was a cruel kind of irony. Ayano thought that maybe her actions where finally catching up with her.
She couldn't keep up this act any more.
Whatever strange and unusual excuse her brain had made for her trust in him had to be pushed aside.
She finally had found a use for him...
Slowly... she started laughing...
While tears streamed down her face, she laughed the most dry, hollow laugh the world could have ever heard...
But no one heard it. She was laughing at an empty house.
In a swift motion, a picture that had sat on a shelf at the entrance of the house shattered against the wall.
A picture of a smiling woman and a worried man hit the ground with another heartbreaking thud.
Playing pretend was fun while it lasted... now it was time to get back to reality.
The next day at school, Ayano stood with a text sent to her good "friend" Kokona, pleading for her to hold off on her confession this week, and a note holding a "confession" of her own.
She pushed away her regret as she shoved the note into the locker...
But she could not bring herself to look in his direction after school.
She walked away quickly, leaving all hope of friendship between her and the martial artist behind her.
There was no longer any time to play games.