Chapter Eleven

Nefertari took careful steps down the stairs of the dank dungeon

Nefertari took careful steps down the stairs of the dank dungeon. The walls of the place possessed a dirty wet appearance; she hoped her dress wouldn't brush against the filth.

Two guards walked ahead with oil lamps and gleaming spears. She wondered why they had to wield such wicked weapons. Addisu was no murderer or dangerous criminal.

Ramesses had refused to see Nefertari or anyone for that matter. She had learned of Addisu's foolish actions from the guards at the pharaoh's door. When they told her Ramesses ordered Addisu to be locked up and starved, her heart broke. Though Nefertari could not understand Addisu's actions, she needed to see her and give some form of comfort.

"We're here, Queen Nefertari," one of the guards said. He raised the lamp to reveal a cell with thick rusting bars and a dirt floor.

Nefertari could make out the dark outline of a sitting person in the far corner of the enclosure. "Leave a lamp and excuse us."

"Your Highness, the—" both guards protested in unison.

"Leave." Her tone silenced their protest.

"Yes, Queen Nefertari."

Nefertari waited for the glow of their lamp to fade before turning to face the lone figure in the cell. "Why?"

"It is good to see a familiar face. I have been lonely and cold; this flimsy gown offers no warmth." Addisu's voice trembled.

"What possessed you? Why did you do it?"

The air stank of moss and decay, and she was increasingly finding breathing unpleasant.

The light from the lamp revealed Addisu. She was seated on the floor with legs drawn up to her chest. Her focus was fixed on the ground as she drew meaningless lines across the dirt.

"Did they find him? Is he dead?" Addisu asked with her head still bowed.

Nefertari frowned in confusion. She was told Addisu hid her son, and they could not find his body to embalm. As she thought of it, she feared the younger woman might suffer from some sort of mental sickness. "No. Re'hotpe's body has not been found... if that is what you mean."

Addisu sprang to her feet with surprising agility and rushed forward. She gripped the corroded bars and stared at Nefertari with wide horrified eyes. "What do you mean? Who killed my son? They killed him...no."

Nefertari flinched at the sight of Addisu's bruised face. Ramesses must have struck her. She clenched her fists as useless anger caused her head to grow hot. This poor woman...

Tears sprung in Addisu's eyes as they grew unfocused. Stumbling away from the bars, she hugged her slender frame and rocked back and forth.

"All the first sons died as Moses predicted. Re'hotpe would not have been any different. You should not have done what you did. Ramesses is still grieving, but what will happen when he recovers? He would need victims to blame for his failure. Why did you do this?" Nefertari asked.