Chapter 2

Pace was a night club where the drinks were cheap and the party went on all night. Because of this, it was a hotspot for the young and reckless and was usually packed, especially on the weekends. This Saturday was no different, with there hardly being a millimeter of space between the squirming bodies packed onto the dance floor.

It reminded Brendan why he detested nightclubs.

The sweat sticking from the half-naked girls grinding near him stuck onto Brendan's skin, giving him an intense need to shower immediately.

The previously mentioned Grinder Girls also had a penchant for moving a lot, often bumping into Brendan. The glass in his hand was already nearly empty without him having even one sip.

To top that, Brendan's head was pounding with a fierce intensity. The neon colored flashing lights were too much for Brendan's eyes to handle, giving him a migraine that he knew for sure wasn't going to go away soon.

The agony of having to be at this club, the complete opposite of the laid back atmosphere of Named, the bar Brendan had been working at for three months now, weighed heavily on Brendan's shoulders. He stood still amidst the lively crowd, attempting to calm his aching head and not spill the rest of his drink.

He was obviously not having a good time.

Brendan looked desperately at Melanie, who, unlike him, was having a great time.

She looked up just as Brendan was tempted to throw his drink to get her attention. It wasn't serving much purpose in his hand after all.

"Brendan, why do you look like someone dropped an elephant on your toe?" Melanie asked, pulling Brendan closer to her. He praised all the gods above and below for having been saved from the Grinding Girls. Their bouncing booties were dangerous weapons to be around.

"I hate clubs. You know that, I know that. You said you wanted me to take you home when I showed up. You do not seem like you want to go home," Brendan ranted into Melanie's ear.

He glared at his best friend.

Her cheeks were flushed, but her brownie eyes were still clear. The night was still young, as was apparent by her still done up brunette hair, which would've been a complete mess if she was truly ready to call it a night.

"Oh come on! Just have at least a little fun!"

Melanie grabbed onto Brendan's arm, attempting to get him to dance with her.

Her attempt failed.

"Let's go home," Brendan pleaded. He was truly over this night.

"Wait, wait, wait!" Melanie attempted to bargain with him.

"The night's still young! You just came here and I just called Justin. We can't abandon our friend like that!"

Melanie peered up at him with wide eyes. With her small frame and baby-faced features, it usually took her no time to convince people to do whatever she wanted. But Brendan was standing strong on this.

His monotone facial expression ignited a panic in Melanie. She looked hurriedly around, her eyes lighting up as she found a target.

Calmer now, she turned back to Brendan, placing her hand gently on his arm.

"Why don't you look around for someone else occupy your time? It is Couples Night here, you know."

Brendan didn't trust the look in Melanie's eyes. He also knew for a fact that it most certainly was not Couples Night at the club.

Before he could open his mouth, Melanie forcibly turned him around.

"Look over there! There's someone that wants to couple with you, if you get my drift."