Chapter 3

I trekked along the hard, white, warm, border of the road with Manon. (It's called a sidewalk right? And it's made of... What? Clement? Oh, right. Cement.)

Anyway, Manon was leading me down the road towards a store that I had never been to in my two years on Earth. 

It was called Kohls.

~~~~~ 

Later that day

I had just gotten two pairs of jeans. Manon bought them with money Nesryn and Chaol had lent her. I also got a black skirt, a couple jackets outlined in fur, a leather jacket, and three shirts. The shirts were each blue, with their own design. The first one, blue with an American flag, the second one, navy blue long sleeved with a pocket, and the last one teal with a creature called a Pikachu on the front. 

The Pikachu was from one of the limited shows that I was able and allowed to watch.

We walked into a plain field, where I spotted a chariot, similar to the ones we had in Terrasen, with two pegisi reigned in the front. There was a boy there, whom I assumed would be my guide. 

We approached the young man.

"Hello." Manon said. "Are you the one they call Christopher?"

He nodded. "Although I prefer you'd call me Chris." 

He had a lovely voice. He was quite attractive too.

He nodded towards me. "What is your name?" 

"Vanessa." I said. "Vanessa Ashrvyer Galathynius Whitethorne."

"Well," he started. "That is a long name."

He was quite cute when he was confused.

"Do you have a favorite color?" He asked me.

I thought for a quick moment. "Blue." 

He smiled a dazzling smile. "Then you'd fit right in with my family." 

Manon turned to me. "You will be traveling with Chris Jackson here." She turned to him. "You'll keep her safe, won't you?"

He nodded.

I made an exasperated face. "I don't need to be protected. I can handle myself fine on my own."

She made a pained expression. "You know this is hard for me. It's hard for Dorian, and Chaol, and Nesryn. After the incident with your parents and your uncle..."

I nodded. "I will honor my dead family until the day I too, perish. Lyssandra, Aedion, and my parents, Aelin and Rowan, will be remembered." She hugged me and kissed my head.

"Good luck." Manon told me. "But just, one more spark for me, please Vanessa?"

I nodded once more. I closed my eyes and summoned the smallest spark that would fit this extreme situation.

It was bright orange, and floated above me. Manon smiled.

"Goodbye." She turned to Chris. "Keep her own of trouble, would you please? She can tend to be..." She paused for a moment. "Difficult." 

Amusement played in his eyes. "I will try my best."

Manon hugged me once more, and turned to trek back to the hideout.

"Goodbye." I said as she faded into the distance.

I turned and looked at Chris. "So, what's your story?" 

He smiled, that same amusement dancing in his bright green eyes. I took a moment to assess the fact that he had windblown blonde hair, and was tapping his legs enthusiastically.

"It's a long one." Cris said.

I smiled. "Well, we've got time to kill. So, spill."

"A story for a story." He said, putting out his hand.

"Deal." And I shook his outstretched hand.