Chapter 5

As the woman and I bolted along, I saw her slowly changing form, getting faster as she made every difference to her body. I saw white and gray fur pop up off her arms, and her face grew a muzzle. Her blue eyes turned green, and her hands and feet turned into paws. 

I was so stunned at her transformation, I slowed and almost stopped. Almost.

I heard a scream, a yell for help. And it sounded like Vanessa. 

I ran, as fast as I could, until I eventually was running faster than the woman-turned-beast. I saw a fire, and ran toward it, ending up in a clearing.

I saw a man, hanging above the fire, with blonde hair, and blue eyes with- was that gold?

Anyway, he had Vanessa's eyes, but I couldn't see her anywhere. I untied the man, the beast coming out of the woods behind me.

The man, now freed, turned and yelped at the woman-thing. Than he took a breath and laughed.

"I've been married to you for who knows how long, and you still manage to scare me, Lyssandra." The man said.

He turned to me. "I'm Aedion. I already know your name, Christopher, and so there's no time for formal introductions."

Then the man bolted at the same inhuman speed Vanessa had, stopping at the line of trees that had only one path. He seemed to sniff the air, before he turned to me.

"Vanessa is my niece." He said. "Me and Lyssandra have been looking for her for two years."

He gestured for me to follow him, and ran at a normal speed, allowing me to catch up with him.

I ran, only trusting as to save Vanessa.

I'm coming.