Chapter 25: Monarch of Disaster

Another snowstorm came to the land as they were on their way back to Kingdom Terra. Spike was near the mouth and was observing the wind. Kris was tending to their weapons- and to Rudy from time to time. It was only now that the brunet's colds caught up with him. The axman could hear him sneeze even from the distance so he went deeper to check on them.

"I'm surprised your fragment does not protect you from common colds." The other brown-haired man sat down across their legs. "I have to ask. How many fragments have you collected?"

"We're missing" -Rudy sneezes- "one more." The brunet would chuckle, but it was Kris' priority to keep his face clean at least. Rudy continued after his stuffed nose was cleared with a piece of scrap cloth. He counted with his fingers: moving one to respond to a name. "Well, Eileene, Rachel, Jave, you" -he sniffed- "me and Kris."

Spike watched them for a bit before continuing. "So we're down to that useless grim reaper, huh." He noticed the two knights look at him intently. The axman frowned at them. "I met another one aside from the hag and Jave. I rescued him from some ice giants." He hummed as he looked outside to check the storm. "He looks scary and formidable, but he's just a wuss."

"Your description sounds familiar." Kris turned to the axman, only to turn to Rudy. "Rudy, do you remember" -he paused for a while as if recalling it correctly- "a conversation we had in the graves?" He watched his friend frown at him. "After we talked to Sarah. We talked to someone. Else."

"I don't remember..."

The half-human sighed and got up. "So it affects everyone." He caught the knights looking at him. "It's hard to remember Dellons. He's a grim reaper, and they are bound to be forgotten easily to hide their nature." He stretched a bit. "I just know him because I had seen him a lot of times- the spell won't work at me anymore."

Rudy twitched and soon spoke in a dark tone, "How come you see him a lot? He stays in the graves, doesn't he?"

"Beats me." Spike cracked his neck. "The storm's gone. We're going back to the Dragon Ruins." He turned to them with a smirk. "Let's see if Jave could fly us back to Kingdom Terra."

The men gathered their things and started walking through the white tundra. However, they spotted someone at the distance, walking towards a direction away from them. He was dragging his scythe merrily across the ground as if celebrating quietly. Spike paused and waited for Rudy or Kris' reaction. The noble was caught thinking while his friend took a deep breath.

"Dellons!" Rudy called out and waved. He felt the gaze of the other two- and soon the grim reaper. Before the entity could react, he ran towards him. The steps behind him meant Kris and Spike followed with him. He greeted the reaper. "It's a surprise to see you here."

The reaper greeted him back in a confused manner. He then realized Spike was with them. "It seemed like Spike reminded you of me. Humans are not supposed to remember me at all unless reminded."

"That's pretty inconvenient, don't you think?" The brunet straightened and discreetly sniffed. "We're on our way back to Kingdom Terra. Would you like to come with us?"

Dellons hummed before reaching out to cupping his hand on Rudy's head. "Poor you, Rudy. Your darkness is so feeble it doesn't act on small threats." He took his hand off. "You should exercise it more." He looked at Kris and Spike, before looking at Rudy again. "I have an errand to run. I can't come."

"You somewhat changed from the last time I saw you, Dellons," Spike mentioned. "Did something happen to you and your lord? Your fragment feels a lot more different now."

"There! There! That's the bad guy!"

The reaper was about to answer when they heard someone yell. They turned to a direction and saw multiple beasts carrying a small boy. The white beasts started hurling big snowballs at them. They dodged the attacks, rolling to unsheathe their weapons. They attacked different beasts, and it was easy taking them down. It surprised Spike to see Dellons fighting efficiently.

However, the monsters kept on coming. The reaper called their attention and led them to a secluded place away from the sight of the monsters. They rested for a bit before Rudy asked.

"Why are they chasing you, Dellons?" He caught his breath, before of the colds not fatigue. "Did you attack them earlier?"

"I did not." He just chuckled. "But they are after me. I should go without you." He put on a new helmet from what Rudy thought he remembered him wearing. "I'll just see you in Kingdom Terra, my friends." With that, he ran off and vanished in thin air.

Rudy kept himselfsilent aside from the occasional sniffing. He turned to Spike and Kris, theireyes telling him they knew something was wrong.