Chapter 39: After Party

The eve of Kris' birthday was wasted glamorously as the kingdom celebrated and welcomed the day he was born. It was too much even for a nobleman, but he was one of the Knights of Light. He, along with his friend and rival Rudy, was a direct tool of the Goddess Elena, and they fought to keep them safe. It was enough for them to be almost worshipped by the people.

Citizens of Kingdom Terra partied more or less they did every time they celebrate the Day of the Monarchs. Most of them were knackered, but the Seven Knights were still free of any trace of slumber. Rachel was obliged to chat with more nobles from the land as she came from far away. Rudy and Kris were going around, greeting the common people who came. At this point, the masks were taken off; people freely interacting with everyone still.

There was a point the party had to end, and the guests should start going home. Kris had to see Rachel off as part of their failing disguise. The Agni family would be displeased, but the whole joke was amusing to the heiress. Rudy was clearing the banquet along with the maids of both the castle and Kris' family. The women were staring at him in admiration as he refused to act like a noble unlike those who would be treated as such. The mere fact that he was just a plain village boy five years back continued to stop him from behaving otherwise.

Then again, there he was moving tables when someone came to him. It was Kris' mother. The brunet Knight shrieked inwardly; there was a lot of misunderstanding happening. He greeted her accordingly, and had her greet him back.

"Oh, Rudy. Kris must have been a hard boy to take care of." She chuckled. "He's normally disinterested by a lot of things, but now, look at him- getting stubborn about being a Knight of Light all his life." She gave him a gaze of mixed worry and satisfaction. "At one point, you two have to retire, don't you?"

"I understand how you feel, madam. I told Kris the same thing." Rudy sighed in relief. "But he wanted to stay true to our oath as the Knights of Light as much as possible." He pressed his hand against his chest. "We have given our lives to the Goddess, and we are to serve Kingdom Terra and Asgar as long as we live." He laughed a bit as he twitched and scratched his nape lightly. "It didn't include anything about not marrying; I think it's best to feel human even though we fight for celestial beings."

The mother gave him a bitter smile in return. "It had been a long time since he had chosen you over us. I told him to be friends with you; and sometimes, it feels like a mistake."

"No, it's not. You gave a loyal man to serve Terra alongside a brother he never had." Rudy momentarily held the mother's shoulder. "He chose the Light, not me. I'm sorry you feel like he was taken away from you."

She only stared at him before smiling again; this time, genuinely. "Perhaps it was best for him to cling at someone who can stand for him. Thank you for taking care and watching out for my son." She patted the corner of her eyes with a hanky she was holding. "Please continue taking him away from danger and protecting him as you fight against monsters."

Rudy twitched inwardly.

"Please keep Kris safe."

The mother left his side after saying goodbye. The brunet knight could only stand there before shaking his head discreetly. He continued with his task, only to see a glimpse of Kris walking to him.

"Happy Birthday, Kris." Rudy chuckled as he finally got to speak with his friend alone. He heard the blond snort followed by a small smirk. The brunet asked. "Did they find out?"

"They had their doubts about it, but the Agni family was interested with the political benefits it would give Rachel over Kingdom Terra." Kris sighed with a smile. "If we could make it look political rather than an excuse, I could just leave it as it is."

"What if you fell for Rachel?"

"That makes me shudder, Rudy." Kris made an extreme 'no' face at his friend. "Can't I stay aromantic until I die?"

"That won't do!" He laughed as he nudged Kris' shoulder harder than an exhausted man could take. "You have to- I'm sorry, did it hurt?" He chuckled as he consoled the friend's shoulder. "As I was saying, we have to be human at least."

Kris huffed before tapping his friend's hand to stop massaging his sore shoulder. "You speak like you harbor feelings towards a woman. Wait, do you?"

"I- do not." He chuckled. "But I'm not closing any possibilities of meeting someone who could-" For some reasons, he paused- before brushing it off. "I'll force you to think about your future with a woman when I find one for me. For now, we should continue to attend to the continent's need for us."

Kris frowned at him. "It's suspicious you stopped halfway. Did something happen here?"

"Ah" -Rudy had to make an excuse- "I just remember I promised your mother to take care of you. It's impossible to look after you and love a woman at the same time-"

The blond sighed. "Please stop making everyone think we're lovers."

"Would it sound disturbing to say that it startedwith your actions instead, milord?"