Chapter 2: Old Friends

Slamming out of the locker room, our feet pound steadily against the linoleum floor while my heartbeat is anything but steady.

I concentrate hard on finding her mind, and I do, but the collection of loud minds around hers confuse me. I can't make out any words but I feel her fear, which makes me panic and run faster.

By now we are almost there, and I can hear paramedics discussing a female with a concussion.

I grab Isis and pull her towards them, almost certain it's her sister.

Why else would they need fireproof gloves?

Suddenly one strong and vengeful thought rises above the others in the confusion, making my blood run cold.

Where the hell is she? I thought she would come for her thing by now.

I stop and pull in a harsh breath.
It couldn't be him. I grab Isis by the arm and point down the hall to where the paramedics are.

"Isis, go stop your sister from setting the paramedics on fire. I have to get Cy. She's in trouble."

I half walk half run into the gym where unconscious Uniques and soldiers lay across the floor sporadically. With wind burn on many of their cheeks.

He came back.

I look up and I already know what's happening, though I am surprised to see his companion is nowhere to be found.

Two week ago he said he would be back. And now here he is, holding the most precious and fragile person in my life twenty feet in the air. She squeals my name, immediately shaking me out of my calm stupor.

"What the hell are you doing Benny? Let her go!"

Cy's terrified face turns to me as he snickers. "Feisty as ever I see. I though you lost your spunk the day you abandoned us." I nearly break my jaw from clenching my teeth together when he begins to stroke her hair, the gesture hardly sweet.

Aiming my palms to the ground I concentrate my electrical energy into pillars of power, propelling myself to face him several feet apart. The wood gives way and I find I'm balancing on the concrete below.

He continued, "You know, it's a real shame you didn't come with us. We were do powerful together, you me and Amanda. And if I can recall, the only reason you didn't was this thing." On thing, he tugs hard enough on her hair to make her squeal. I nearly shoot him with lightning, but I can't risk hitting Cy.

"I couldn't leave her alone, Benny. You knew that when you left. And you should also know that she isn't the only reason I didn't go." I keep all my focus on him as soldiers fill the room beneath us. "Please put her down Benny. This is between us. She doesn't have anything to do with it."

This clearly hits a nerve and his face turns bright red. He shouts, "I don't care! She has everything to do with it! I nearly lost Amanda because you weren't there to help me protect her! If you were there we would have been strong enough to fight him!" His wind whips violently through Cy's hair and I can see the bruises form on her arms.

I have had enough. Without saying anything I launch towards him, catching him off guard and snatching Cy out of his arms less gently than I would have liked. She pushes herself off of me and floats to the ground, thinking to me, I'll be okay Syd. Just focus on him.

I nod to her and turn to face him, only to receive a blow to the face. "You betrayed us Syd!" I quickly dodge his next attack and hit back, our powers mingling like they had been together only yesterday. "I just didn't want to chase after a fairy tale, Benny! I live in the real world with a really dangerous ability!" His wind slams me against the wall and I fight hard not to pass out with black spots floating in my vision. He floats to my face as he holds me there on the wall with his wind. "You are just weak."
"Weak? I beat you every time we fight." I grind out, closing my eyes in concentration. The lights dim as I draw their energy, the bright electricity dancing into my open palm. Collecting it all in my core, I then pool the energy to my hands sending him flying to the other wall.