Chapter 1

" hey what do you wanna be when you graduate on Friday? " Jesse asked me smiling. " I want to go to university and study to be either a writer or a photographer, I get my letter to see if I got into my dream university " I say back sliding my hand into his. " which university are you going to? " he asks me holding my hand tighter " the university of Melbourne, remember? That's only if I get in " " oh yeah, I enrolled in that university and tree oak university " he said back. I smile shyly, I can't believe I only enrolled in one, we get emailed letters Thursday, it's Tuesday today, Friday is graduation. At least him and I want to have the same career path, I'm so scared we might lose each other

I smile at him with an extremely shy nod. I look out the window of the bus as we head home from school, I was getting off at Jesse's stop today for dinner with his family, I see all the cars go past then notice out of the corner of my eye, Jesse staring at me. " whats wrong " he asks, me, taking his hand from mine and putting my hair behind my ear. "I just don't want to split up next year, I mean so many things could happen that could split the two of us up " I say moving my hand to my head wiping away the saltiness of my tears.

He wraps his arms around me and I hug him even tighter back, " don't cry, please don't cry " he says rubbing his hand up and down on my cheek. I calm down eventually and look him in the eyes. I open my mouth to say something but he interrupts and gathers both my hands in his "even if we don't get into our university or even if we don't go to university at all, we will never separate and that is an absolute promise, don't be upset, I never want to lose you ". I look away out the window, " Jesse " " yeah " " we need to get out " he looks out the window and notices that we have passed his stop and are now at my house. " yeah let's go " he laughs gripping my hand and pulling me to the front of the bus. We jump off the bus laughing and joking around. " let's be glad you live in the same street as me, do you want to get a change of clothes seeing as your at your house currently " I nod my hand and pull him to my door and inside. " I'll be one second, are you thirsty? " I say to him. " nah ill last until I get home " he chuckles back.