Raising The Jarvis Twins {23}

A.N.- The commercial is the one that Shane is watching. I hate that commercial so much, but I think it makes an amazing impact. Smoking kills. Don't smoke. It doesn't make you cool, it makes you dead.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                                                ***Ali’s POV***

                I was going to put away some laundry when I heard a sniffing sound coming from the boys’ room. I entered the room curiously and saw Shane staring at the TV with tears in his eyes.

                “Shane? What’s wrong?” I asked in concern and walked over to him. I sat next to him and he sniffed and pointed at the TV. “I-Is dad going to e-e-end up like th-that?” he whispered in terror.

                I glanced at the TV screen and my heart dropped. I felt sick at the sight of the commercial that was on, as the man wheezed and the words flashed on the screen. Oh my god. Shane’s eyes were glued to the TV screen and I just wanted to cover them so my little son wouldn’t have to see just what his father could end up like in the future.

                The commercial ended and Shane buried his face in his hands. “M-Mom, I don’t w-w-want dad to end up like th-that,” he whimpered. I pulled him into my lap and cradled his head against my shoulder as if he were a small child again.

                “Sh, Shane. It’s okay. Daddy’s okay,” I whispered, deeply disturbed by what I had just seen. I was trying to reassure myself more so than Shane. Shane didn’t know just how long or how much his father had smoked.

                Ben walked into the room and gave us a curious look. “Are you guys okay?” he asked. I held my arm out and he came over and sat next to me. He wrapped his arms around me and gave us both a concerned look. “What’s wrong?”

                “Don’t ever smoke again, dad. P-Please,” Shane whimpered and thrust himself into Ben’s arms, hugging him tightly. “I d-don’t w-w-want to see you in p-p-pain.”

                Ben hugged him tightly and stroked his hair. “I’m sorry buddy. I won’t go back to smoking. I promise,” he whispered. “It h-hurts to w-w-watch you s-s-smoke,” Shane said quietly and sniffed again. “I don’t want to hurt you, Shane. So I won’t smoke anymore,” Ben said, kissing Shane’s forehead.

                I leaned over and kissed Ben gently. He brought a hand up to stroke my face while still keeping a good hold on Shane. “I love both of you, and Shawn, and I never want to hurt you or see you hurt,” he whispered sincerely.

                He let Shane slide off his lap and stood up, offering me his hand and kissing me once I was standing too. He ruffled Shane’s hair before we left his room and entered our own.

                “Ben, your habits scare the boys,” I said seriously. “Old habits,” he corrected fiercely. “I’m done with the smoking and the drinking, Ali. Maybe a drink or two in moderation, but only when you’re around to monitor me. I’m not hurting my family anymore.”

                He wrapped his arms around me and kissed me deeply. We fell back on our bed together and Ben began to slid his hands under my shirt. I pushed him off gently. “Ben…no condom…” I mumbled as I kissed his neck.

                “Shit,” he grumbled and kissed me deeply, crawling on top of me. “This will have to do, unless you’re in the mood for some sucking,” he said before crashing his lips to mine deeply, not giving me the chance to answer.

                He pulled away slightly. “Well?” he asked and I smirked and pulled him back on top of me, slightly grinding on him. I could feel him smirk as we began to make out.

                                                                                                ***

                We walked downstairs where the boys were watching TV. “Hey boys,” Ben said, his hair dripping wet from the shower we had taken together. “Hi mom. Hi dad,” they said at the same time as we sat down with them.

                Our boys…so innocent. I couldn’t even believe that some day they would lose their virginity. They wouldn’t have that innocent look in their eyes anymore. Ever since the death of Wallace, it was disappearing more and more. It was scaring me. I didn’t want my little boys to grow up. They were only 10 years old.

                Would they love us so much when they were teenagers? Would they end up like their father? A life haunted by addiction and mistakes, abuse and violence? Or would they be like me, and make that one stupid mistake?

                Or…would they be better than me and Ben? I hoped to god they were better than us, because we were trying so hard to raise them to be better than us. I wanted my boys to have the best life possible. Our mistakes shouldn’t ruin their lives.

                I wrapped my arm around Shawn and pulled him close. Ben pulled Shane close and we smiled at each other before kissing the boys. They giggled and jokingly shoved us.

                “What do you boys say we take you, Uncle Chris, and Typession and go to the water park this weekend?” Ben offered with a smile. The boys’ faces lit up. “Yea!” they cried at the same time. I smiled happily. This would be great!