Raising The Jarvis Twins {28}

“Shane? Ali?” I called as I walked into the house holding Shawn’s hand. They entered the room and I pulled Shawn over to them and hugged them to me.

                “Ben,” Ali said in surprise. “Sorry,” I whispered. “What’s wrong? What happened?” she asked, glancing at Shawn. “Dad, who was that man?” Shawn asked. “What man Ben?” Ali demanded. I bit my lip. “He was, uh, he’s my stepdad,” I choked out and Ali’s face paled.

                “Oh Ben,” she whispered. “I thought I was finally free of him,” I said quietly. “I thought I finally got away from him when my dad came back. But he never leaves me alone. I’m never free of him Ali. It haunts me. He haunts me.”

                I pulled the boys close to me and knelt down as they hugged me back. I kissed them both and squeezed my eyes shut. “I love you boys. I love you both so much,” I whispered. “We love you t-too d-d-dad,” Shane said curiously and kissed my cheek. I opened my eyes and smiled at them lightly.

                They eased the pain, but raised the fear. He was threatening to go after my defenseless children. They had never done anything wrong to Derik. Hell, I had never done anything wrong to him and neither had Jeydyn!

                That man was fucked in the head. Man. He wasn’t even a man. A real man didn’t beat defenseless children. Hell, maybe I hadn’t been completely defenseless, but I had been smaller and weaker than him and he had used that to his advantage. Pussy.

                Jeydyn…she had been an innocent child. I had lost my virginity when I was 12, started drinking and smoking when I was 11, and started smoking weed when I was 13. I hadn’t been innocent by any means. But she had been innocent. The world should have been hers, but my mom and Derik had beaten any happy thoughts like that right out of her.

                I wouldn’t let that happen to my boys. Any of it. The world was theirs as long as I could let them think it was. They could dream until they ran dry. I wouldn’t let Derik hurt them. I wouldn’t let myself hurt them. I would never, never let my boys lose their virginity at age 12. That was just fucking wrong. I was ashamed of myself for that. It was so stupid of me.

                I would do whatever the hell it took to keep my boys from making the same mistakes as me. I’d give them every fucking talk in the book. I’d be strict if I had to be. I just didn’t want them to ruin their lives like I had. It had destroyed me.

                                                                                ***Shane’s POV***

                “Dad was really freaked out,” Shawn said with a frown as we sat in school together the next day. I nodded. “Y-Yea. What h-h-happened?” I asked curiously. Shawn shrugged. “This guy came and he and dad started arguing. I’ve never seen dad scared before. Only when we lost you. I didn’t know dad could get so scared.”

                He reached over and grabbed my hand as he spoke. He glanced at me and shrugged again. “Whoever he was, he can go fuck himself for scaring dad like that.” I nodded in agreement.

                We got back to work, still holding hands. The teacher smiled lightly at us as we worked. Shawn ignored it, but I gave her a shy smile. She smiled wider before moving on to help other kids with their work.

                “Shane, guess what?” Newt said, coming over to me during our free period. “What?” I asked, cocking my head to the side curiously. “I drew you a picture!” she said and handed it to me. It was a picture of a wolf, my favorite animal.

                I smiled shyly at her. “Thanks N-Newt!” I got up and hugged her tightly. She and Type were our best friends. Newt was really good at drawing things.

                “We should do a sleepover this weekend!” she said eagerly and I nodded in agreement. “For s-s-sure!” I said and smiled. I hugged her again before sitting back down and carefully placing the drawing of the wolf in my folder so it wouldn’t crinkle or rip.

                The bell rang to let us out of school and Shawn and I went to our lockers together, talking casually about the things that had happened in school today. I liked school, but Shawn hated it. He said it was a boring waste of time. I liked to learn, though.

                “Shit! Shane, I left my notebook in the classroom!” Shawn said with a frown. “Let’s go g-g-get it,” I said and he nodded. We walked down to the classroom and he grabbed his notebook off his desk and shoved it in his bag before slinging his bag over his shoulder and shooting an easy smile at me. “Let’s go!”

                We left the classroom and walked down to the busses. “Shit!” we both cried at the same time as we watched the busses drive away.

                “Come on Shane; we can walk home,” Shawn said with an annoyed sigh. “How do w-we get home from h-h-here?” I asked. “We go to the gas station down the street, and I can find my way from there. We don’t live far from the school,” he said and grabbed my hand, pulling me along with him.

                We walked to the gas station down the street and stood on the curb together. “Okay, we go down that street and take a right!” he said, pointing off in a direction.

                I nodded after thinking about it and smiled. “Come o-o-on,” I said, fixing my bag and running a hand through my hair.

                “Excuse me, boys?”

                We turned to face some guy I had never seen before. “Where’s your father?” he asked curiously. “He’s i-i-inside,” I lied. “We’re w-w-waiting for h-him.” You always lied to strangers when you weren’t with your parents. Make them think that you’re parents were nearby so that they wouldn’t try to hurt you.

                “Really? Because I was just inside. You must Shane,” he said. I nodded nervously. He grinned and something flashed in his eyes. They flickered to Shawn and he grinned wider. “I told your idiot father I would fuck you two up,” he hissed before he attacked me.

                I crashed to the ground and Shawn started screaming as the guy hit me. He screamed things at me as he punched me. “D-DAD,” I shrieked, beginning to sob as people ran out of the store. “DADDY!”

                “Your fucking dad isn’t going to save you. He’s a fucking coward!” the man growled and punched me in the face. I screamed and screamed and screamed for daddy though.