Chapter 1

“I fucking hate her!” I screamed, kicking the tires of my Aunt Caroline’s 1997 jeep. I kicked it again, letting out a deep growl. Aunt Caroline rolled her eyes, a bit of a smile on her face.

“Ah hush,” She said as I climbed into her passenger seat. I crossed my arms, looking out my window as my bitch of a mother waved goodbye to me. I flipped her off, turning my face away from her. Aunt Caroline rolled her eyes, an obvious smile on her face.

“To think I call that bitch my mother,” I hissed, sliding down further into my seat. Aunt Caroline reached a hand over and ruffled my hair - if that had been anyone other than her, I would have literally bitten their hand off.

“Don’t call your mother that!” She said, the smile on her face growing with her words. I cocked my eyebrow - oh god, she was becoming one of them! “She’s your mother, Annie. I, though, have every right to call my sister a bitch,” she wiggled her eyebrows, a sly smile on her face.

I grinned, turning back to look out the window. We were way passed out of the city now, and any chance of tucking and rolling out of the car to run back to civilisation was shot. I watched the green blur of the trees wizzed by me. I wanted so much to be able to enjoy this car ride, to be able to stop and take in the smell of the trees, but no - I was literally being taken to hell.

We drove for several hours, my butt growing more and more sore as we moved on. When we finally did stop, we rolled onto a gravel road, the sound of gravel cracking under the tires of the jeep like music to my ears. I was happy, and I was pissed. I was happy because I could finally get out of the car, but I was pissed because well - we were here.

I climbed out of the car, the gravel beginning to crack under my black vans trainers. I bit my lip, following Aunt Caroline to a school type building. This place was like school, without access to the Internet, or cell phones. Yeah, you read that right - we had absolutely know contact to the outside world.

I sighed, walking through the door a large man helled open for my aunt and I. She walked ahead of me, toward an even more school looking room, which was pretty much an office - with the exception of the random kids sitting around waiting to get yelled at. Aunt Caroline walked up to the desk, the woman sitting at it looking up at her with a calm smile. I wanted to like this woman, but really, anybody associated with hell was no friend of mine.

“Annie?” My aunts voice asked, pulling me from the trance I had allowed myself to drop into. I looked up from the floor at her, her seemingly flawless face had a bit of a frown on it, which made me begin to frown as well. She opened her arms, pulling me into a deep hug.

“Get better,” She whispered into my ear, “I’m working my hardest to get custody of you, but for now, you focus on getting better, okay?” She said, a tear rolling down her cheek. I nodded, pulling her in for one last hug.

I watched her walk out of the room, her steps were so light and airy. I wanted so badly to have been born her daughter, and not my own mother’s. Maybe then I wouldn’t be here, ready to bawl my eyes out as I watched the one person on this earth I could honestly trust, walk away from me.

“Honey?” The woman at the desk asked. I turned around to her, my vision blurred slightly by the tears in my eyes. I hadn’t even realized I was crying until then. The woman looked sympathetic, like she didn’t want me to be here as much as I didn’t want to be here. I smiled, shrugging my shoulders a bit. I had officially surrendered. Where was my white flag? I really needed a fucking white flag to wave.

“I’m sorry darling, but I need to check,” she said, taking my arm and rolling the sleeves of my “The Acacia Strain” Hoodie. I winced at her expression. On my wrists, there were around 50 cuts, 30 of those new, 10 still healing, and 10 on the verge of becoming scars. Not to mention my actual scars - those were in the hundreds.