Chapter 2

They were all around me, staring. Laughing. I begged my feet to move - to run, to do anything. But all I did was stand there as a man to the right of me tied a rope around my wrists, laughing maniacally as he did so. My breath was short, a man to the left of me lifting his gun. BANG.

I woke up in a cold sweat, tears running down my eyes. I ran a hang through my bright red hair, blinking rapidly, trying to stop the tears from falling. I took a few deep, but shaky, breaths, turning and seeing the clock read 7:20. I bit my lip, climbing out of my bunk and walking towards the bathroom in our cabin.

To my delight, our cabin wasn’t as ghetto as some camps. We had a decent shower, and a damn good sized mirror. I turned on the water in the shower, stepping inside, letting the hot water run down my back. I didn’t actually need to wash up - I’d done that last night. I just needed this shower to wake me up from the horrible nightmare.

Five minutes later, I hopped out of the shower, wrapping a towel around my body loosely and walking out into the bunking area of our cabin. Rose smiled at me, standing in her jeans and bra. I gave her a smug grin - I still hated seeing her wear real clothes while I was forced to wear the ugly “uniform.” She laughed, holding up two shirts in front of me.

“Which one?” She asked. I studied the shirts. One was a simple gray t-shirt with a red paper swan on in, the other a black v-neck much like the one I was forced to wear. I grinned evilly, pointing at that one. She looked at it, laughing a bit, she put it on.

“Now we’re twins,” she said as I slid on my sweats. I laughed, sticking my tongue out at her. She winked, picking up her keys and waving bye to me. I held up my hand for her to wait, but she didn’t see it and walked out. I groaned, sliding on the itchy black v-neck. It was a size too small for me, so it hugged every curve on my body, and to add to how much it sucked - I’m pretty sure I’m allergic to the material it was made of.

I scratched my sides, desperately trying to make the itching stop. I growled, stepping out into the blazing hot sun. Not only did they make us wear black, but they made us wear black in the hottest place on this planet. I whined, beginning to walk towards the horse stable, where, of course, the one person who would make this day any better would be - ahaha, not.

As I walked toward the stable, I decided I’d take the long way - AKA take the “I don’t even want to be here right now,” way. I rolled my t-shirt up so that it was only covering my breasts. Some people take that as a slutty thing to do, I take that as a “I’M A GENIUS MY SIDES DON’T ITCH ANYMORE” thing to do.

“Excuse me!?” A voice screamed. I wasn’t the least bit worried, for whatever reason. None of the faculty here scared me - I don’t think they were allowed to come off scary. You know, the whole “I want you to be able to trust me so you don’t kill yourself,” thing.

A girl with dark brown hair, and pale skin ran up to me. I cocked my eyebrow, she had a hint of a british accent. She was unbelievably pretty.

“Hi?” I said, looking her up and down. She was wearing almost the exact same outfit as me, outside of the shoes. She’d been allowed real shoes. She had a harsh scar running across her face, and down onto her neck. I tried my best not to stare at it, but I could feel my eyes constantly drawing back to it.

“Are you skipping out on chores too?” She said, a giddy smile growing on her face.

“YOU’RE ONE OF THEM!” I screamed, crouching down on the ground and covering my head like she was about to beat me. I looked up at the girl through the cracks between my arms - her face looked horrified.

“Sorry,” I said, standing up and brushing off my sweats, “Yeah, taking the long way to the stables,” I shrugged. She nodded, and we begun walking together. I shoved my hands in the pockets of my sweats, looking forward and noticing the stable in the distance. I looked at the girl next to me, her face seeming so hopeful. Everybody here seemed to hopeful - yet so broken.