Chapter Three

• Dedicated to Brianna Blair

Chapter Three

“What is going on?” I demand for what feels like the hundredth time. They still haven’t answered any questions that I’ve asked since we got back on the road at an ungodly hour this morning.

“Sweetie, please wait and have a little patience. We’ll explain when we get there,” My mom pleads, looking worriedly at me. I’d refused to sit in the bed again, and now Dusty was on my lap while we bumped along a dirt road.

“And where exactly is ‘there’?”

“You’ll see,” My dad says, clearly irritated at me for being oh-so-annoying. “Now sit tight and find a way to pass the next two days without asking that damn question again.” Yup, he’s pissed at me.

Blue and I look at each other and shrug, turning back to face the front. This is going to be a long couple of days, and they have conveniently forgotten to pack any items that could possible provide entertainment over this amount of time.

***

Blue Dust and I end up playing patty cake for most of the ride, and the next two days pass with absolutely no enjoyment. During the time, Tyler, Dusty, and I really get on each others'-as well as our parents’-nerves. We bicker endlessly, and our parents break up multiple would-be fist fights. For the most part Blue and I are on the same side, against Tyler. Then again, Blue Dust and I have been sticking together for years, as Tyler was going to college, getting a job, and making sure that while he’s doing that he’s as far away from his family as possible.

“We’re here,” My mom announces, and I can hear the multiple sighs of relief. However, I feel that whatever is coming next must be a lot worse than a two and a half day drive.

My truck coasts past a gate, along the top it is inscribed “Draco Academiae” and below it, in a smaller print, “Dracones Stellantis Noctis”. Beyond the gate is what looks to be a mixture of a school campus and a castle. It has a Gothic style of architecture and I can easily imagine a large, dragon-like monster curling around one of the tower’s spires.

“Mom, Dad, what is this place?” My tone is laced with fear and incredulity. My parents exchange amused glances, as if they knew I would react the way I am right now. “Answer me, please,”

“It’s Draco Academiae,” I roll my eyes at my Dad’s answer. I figured out that much from the plaque above the gate. “And you will be going to school here from now on. Dusty will be staying with you, and we’ll explain the rest when you meet your new companion.” They don’t give me enough time to reply and instead they put the car in park and get out, all but dragging us with them.

A woman is instantly walking towards us as if to greet us. “You must be the Luca family. Welcome to Draco Academiae. We have Veronica and Dusty’s room ready, and Tyler’s room is…repaired,” she smiles wryly. “Please, come in,” My parents and Tyler follow without question, but Dusty and I merely share a glance. As if she’s expecting this, the woman is already turned around. “Well, come on then,” I take one step forward, and Blue slips one of his tiny hands into mine. Together we carefully trail after the others past the large double doors made of a fine black wood. Inside there are girls and boys around my age moving about quickly.

The foyer floor is made of black marble, and my wedges click against it. There are two marble staircases on either side and multiple doorways where the teens make their way in and out of the room. I can see multiple floors up above, about eight of them, and the roof, so far above I’m surprised I can make out the intricate detail, is a skylight made of stained glass, in the picture is a rose with thorns curling around it, ensnaring a moon, sun, and a single star.

“Don’t stop now, we’ll talk in my office-” The woman starts, but my dad cuts her off.

“Actually, I think she should see her first,” Dad gives her a meaningful look, and she nods, changing direction to an opening that only a few of the boys and girls are going through. “You’re about to learn something that you’re not going to like or accept at first, but I want you to know that you are so special…” Both of my parents turn and hug me, then leave, “We’re going to unpack your things, we’ll see you really soon, Ronnie.” I blink, not sure how to feel about all of this; not that I know what ‘this’ is yet.