Magic is not Real

Magic is not Real

In this world, magic does not exist. Not a sprinkle of stardust will make you fly to the high skies, and take you to Neverland. No magic wand can get you an evening ball you'll never forget. No true love's kiss will revitalize the love you once lost trying to chase after someone who already left. In this world, magic does not exist. Magic is just a lie created to comfort us from the cruelties of life. Magic is just a concept we use to escape the bitterness and harshness of reality. Magic is just our safe haven, our sanctuary, to think that life is great, that life is worth living. We created the concept of magic for us to have a reason to breathe, to fight, to survive, to live.

Sometimes, we feel as if this magic is real. In our daily routines, we sometimes see this so-called magic. I remember seeing magic for the first time when I saw him looking at me with a smile. The spark of his eyes automatically made my heart skip a beat. It felt as if there's something in him that sparked something in my chest, an explosion I cannot explain. And from there, I started believing in magic.

The magic did not stop there. For the spark continued when we talked for the first time. I remember how hard it is to say hi to him. It felt as if something is holding back all the words I wanted to tell him. I was just standing there, with lots of words in my head, but never coming out of my lips. I remember him smiling at me, telling me to breathe, and to not be nervous. And just like that, I found the comfort to talk. I found the comfort to start something. I found the perfect way to start my fairytale, or so I thought it was a fairytale.

But it's not a fairytale, and not even close to magic. I find it sad sometimes that yesterday, I was holding someone's hand. Yesterday, I shared stories and memories with someone whom I thought would spend eternity with me. Yesterday, I was in love, and I was happy. Yesterday, I was complete, and I had purpose. Yesterday, I found magic. It's just sad that today, I don't think the same anymore.

I always find people funny sometimes. We cling on to things to comfort us. We find people to complete our existence. We search for things to find our purpose. For me, I always wanted to find magic. To find magic in the palms of someone's hands. In the warmth of someone's embrace. In the touch of someone's lips. In the soul of someone's touch. My life had been spent in a desperate search for something that doesn't even exist.

I spent my life in search of magic that I will never find.

It's no secret that magic is something that I will never find no matter how much I look. But I never stopped looking. In the midst of heartaches, in the midst of tears, in the midst of sad poems about a love unrequited, I always believed that in this world, there is a substitute for magic. I always believed that there is something close to magic that we can hold on to.

We've all felt it. The spark when we hold someone's hands. The spark when he embrace someone we hold close to our hearts. The spark when we draw them near, and make unforgettable memories. The spark  when we create stories with someone we really treasure. And in that heartbeat, that moment, that short span of time, everything was perfect.

There is an overwhelming absence of magic in the real world. Our life is not a fairytale that will end the way we wanted it to be. Magic is not real. But love is. And I think, that is close enough.