8: Rebels

We walked through the dimly lit tunnel. I couldn't tell whether it was day or night; it seemed like we were walking for hours.

    "Can we take a break? I'm so tired of walking." I said between heavy breaths. Justin seemed to agree with me by sitting down on the ground. We say there, drinking water and eating some of the fruits before they got spoiled.

       "How much further do we have to go?" I asked, desperate to do something other than walking.

       "Not much..... but what are we gonna do when we get there? We don't have a plan, we don't have anything to blow up the Inks in the first place!"

       He was right. We should have thought this through. We should have gone somewhere else. I looked up at the ceiling at a sewer hole. If only we could somehow climb up there and get into the subway station. But people would get suspicious. Was there another elevator? As I stared at the hole longer I started to hear yelling, and it was getting louder by the second.

       "What is that?" I looked over at Justin and he was looking at the sewer hole in awe, just as I was.

       As soon as I had asked the question, the cover of the hole fell down and I jumped out of the way so that I wouldn't hit me. Out of it comes a person, all dressed in black, with a full bag on her shoulders. Or was it a he? I couldn't see their face, nor did I have the chance to because whoever it was, started running. Justin for some reason started running towards the person, and I too ran after him. I stopped running as I heard people behind me yell.

       "Stop! Put your hands up!" I followed their commands, not wanting to be in any trouble. "No, not you! The one in black! Yeah you!" The person in black stopped and did what they said while I put my hands down. Justin brings the person back towards the officers.

       "Here you go officers." He said, as if he was working with them.

       "Oh! Mr. Roberts! I think your father would like to see you hand in this criminal yourself." He looked at the person with a disgusted look on his face. Justin seemed surprised at what he had said.

       "Okay then. You officers have a good day." And up the officers went, using their fancy devices to pull them up out of the tunnel. I was just glad they didn't acknowledge me.

       When the officers left, and were clearly far enough away, the criminal sprinted out of Justin's grip and starts to run. I grab a hold of his hand, and pull him towards me. He wasn't very strong. Justin pulls his mask off, and low and behold, it was a girl.

       "What's in your bag, miss?" Justin asked politely, even though she was about our age.

       "Don't call me 'miss'! And it's nothing. Just let me go and I won't tell anyone that you're here."

       "Why would you think we are here illegally?" I asked.

       "I can just tell." After a few awkward silences, there was a muffled cry. The girls eyes got big, and my eyes filled with suspicion.

       "What is in your bag? Or should I say who?"

       Justin carefully takes the bag away from her and opens it on the ground.

       It was a baby boy.

       "You kidnapped a baby? Why?" I said forcefully as I scooped the little boy into my arms, trying to comfort him. As I looked closely at his face, I could see he had the same big hazel eyes and soft brown hair as the girl.

       "He's my brother. I took him away from the hospital so that he wouldn't get his Tattoo." And then I knew, this girl, was going to be on our side.

      I looked at her neck, seeing what her Tattoo read.

       "Your Tattoo says Rebel. I wouldn't argue with that." Justin responded immediately.

       "What? Wait, her Tattoo can't say Rebel."

       "And why not?" The girl said with a harsh attitude.

       "Because no Tattoos can be the same." He replied. Oh no. I knew where this was going. I had never seen Justin's Tattoo before; it was because he always had it covered up.

       Justin pulled his jacket lower, revealing his Tattoo.

       They were both Rebels.

I hope you guys enjoyed this part, and I feel like this story is slowly progressing! Have a great day you guys!