Chapter Three | The Delivery

Back in the hospital room, Stephanie gripped Nathen's hand tightly, her staggered breathing turning into pain-filled whines. "Alright, almost time Mrs. Reed," The doctor said, looking at a chart. "Shh... it's going to be okay Steph," Nathen whispered, brushing brown, wet hair from her flushed face. She forced a small and crooked smile, which was broken soon after the pain worsened.

The female doctor got in front of Stephanie's bed. "We're about to begin. Ready?" The doctor said. Clenching Nathen's hand tightly, Stephanie nodded. "Okay, push!" The doctor ordered. Stephanie pushed along with screaming and short segments of whining. Nathen's hand was being crushed with her sweaty grip, but he still used his free hand to gently dab her forehead with a wet washcloth. "You're doing well!" The doctor reassured. She was pushing so hard that her face reddened.

"I see the head, keep going!" The doctor exclaimed. Stephanie pushed even harder, which seemed impossible. She started screaming and one of the nurses got so frightened that she dropped the glass of water she had been holding. The baby's head became more and more visible. Another nurse came near the doctor, holding two, soft blankets; one pink, one blue. Stephanie gave out one last scream, and with that, the blood drenched baby had arrived.

Stephanie was panting, her face red and sweat covered, and tiny tears trickled from her eyes. The doctor picked up the baby, examining if he/she was a boy or a girl. Nathen smiled, overwhelmed with joy that that their gift had finally arrived. "Well, what is it?" He asked. The new parents both had an anxious look in their eyes. The nurse wrapped the baby in a blue blanket and handed it to Stephanie. She cradled the baby in her arms, softly grinning and stroking the baby's cheek. "Welcome to the world, my darling baby boy."