Chapter Six | The Baby Shower

Stephanie put Ben in his blue and brown car seat, double checking to make sure he was buckled in. When he started whining, she put his favorite green pacifier between his pink lips. She smiled to see her baby was starting to fall asleep again and put his blanket over him to keep him warm, then shut the car door and hopped into the driver's seat of their red Honda HR-V. She drove out through neighborhoods, budding leaves brushing the car. She rolled up the windows so that Ben wouldn't get cold from the early spring. Minutes later, they arrived at the Alston house.

James had set up mint purple and green streamers all over the house, inside and outside. There were mint purple and green balloons on the side of the porch and in random places of the house. The house wasn't big, but it definitely stood out with all the décor James usually put up. James stood outside to greet Stephanie. "Thanks for coming," He said to Stephanie and turned to Brenden. "Hey, little Ben." Stephanie swung the baby bag over her shoulder and picked up Ben with the other arm. "Glad to be here," Stephanie said as they headed inside. "I know she'll just love this surprise baby shower."

Mirabelle was due to have the baby any day now, just as Stephanie had about a month ago. "Yeah," James said, opening the door for her and Ben. "I told her that she should spend the morning with her mom to make sure she was okay. She'll be back soon." He said as he went into the kitchen and put food out of the fridge and onto the table. Relatives and friends walked through the front door, which had been left open. Stephanie sat on the couch with Ben on her right leg. She bounced her knee up and down to keep him amused. About 30 minutes later, all the guests had arrived, including Nathan, and the food had been laid out on the table. "She's coming!" A guest had called.

Stephanie picked up Ben and crouched behind the couch. "Everybody get down!" James whisper-yelled. People all over the house crouched between furniture and James dimmed the lights. Mirabelle had spent the morning shopping for flowers and necklaces and when she decided on some, she went down to her mother's, just like James had said. Inside the house, the lights weren't all the way off, just enough so you could see where you were going. Ben whined a bit but Stephanie got another pacifier and put it in his mouth so he would calm down, Nathen by their side.

Mirabelle walked through the front door. "James," She said slowly. "Why are the lights dimmed?" She turned them all the way on, completely illuminating the place. Everyone popped out of their hiding places. "Surprise!" James and all the guests shouted. Mirabelle grinned. "A baby shower? Thanks so much!" Her cheeks reddened, which was common. People started going towards her, congratulating her and handing her little gifts for the baby. Others went in and out of the kitchen, stuffing their faces with James' delicious food.

Once the crowd dispersed, Stephanie came by Mirabelle. "Hey, happy baby shower!" Stephanie said, holding Ben with one arm, his head resting on her shoulder, and hugging Mirabelle with the other. "Thank you!" Mirabelle replied. "And how's our little Ben doing?" She slightly tickled him, making him smile through his pacifier. "He's doing fine, a little cranky though," Stephanie said. "Aren't you just so excited to have a little baby of your own? I know I was." Mirabelle suddenly clenched her stomach, groaning. "It's coming! The baby is coming!" She shouted and groaned in pain. James rushed to her side. "Alright, let's get you and this baby to the hospital." He said, a worried look spread on his face.

The crowd dispersed even more. A clear path from the door to Mirabelle-- almost magically-- appeared. It had been decided that only a few people should come to the hospital instead of the entire party. Nathen took Ben and headed for the Honda HR-V and Stephanie stayed behind to help get Mirabelle to the Alston's Ford Fusion. The two cars followed each other to the hospital for 20 minutes, which gave Stephanie some time to remind Mirabelle some tips for the delivery. Mirabelle did the same staggered breathing that she showed Stephanie how to do. When they got there, Nathen was still holding Ben and Stephanie helped get Mirabelle into the hospital.