Chapter Five | Lavender's Blue

"And you're sure you'll be okay here without me?" Nathen questioned. "I will be going to work for the first time since you've had the baby." Stephanie smiled at Nathen, appreciating that he was worried about her. "I'll be fine," She reassured. "It wouldn't be the first time, anyway. And besides, I'll be going over Mira and James' for the baby shower." Nathen seemed to relax and he swung the bag over his shoulder. "Alright, if you need anything, call me," Nathen said, kissing her on the lips and caressing their baby's head, which was now starting to show dirty blonde hair.

Stephanie sighed as Nathen left and she removed the bottle from Ben's mouth and set it down on the table, picking him up and heading towards his room upstairs. Once they knew he was a boy, they had had the room painted to a baby blue and bought a brown and blue matching furniture set. She sat in the rocking chair, which was next to the brown and blue crib, and rocked back and forth.

She sang Lavender's Blue Dilly Dilly as her lullaby for Ben. "Lavender's blue, dilly dilly, lavender's green, when you are king, dilly dilly, I shall be queen..." She sang as the baby yawned softly and slowly closed his eyes. "Who told you so, dilly dilly, who told you so...?" The baby snored silently. "'Twas my own heart, dilly dilly, that told me so."

Stephanie smiled warmly at her sleeping baby as she laid him down in the crib and covered him with a warm blanket. When she was sure he was asleep, she walked out of his room and across the hall to both her and Nathen's room. She brushed her brown, shoulder length hair and pinned it up so it wouldn't fall in her face. Then she put on a blue blouse and white pants, along with some flats. Stephanie went to the kitchen and prepared Brendan's baby bag for the trip.

Ben woke up, crying, as usual. Stephanie rushed in and carefully picked him up from the crib, cradling him in her arms. She realized that his diaper smelled foul and she laid him on the blue and brown changing station, grabbing a fresh diaper, baby powder and wipes. After holding her breath and changing his diaper, she dressed him in a green baby onesie, a small darker green hat and matching socks. She then picked him up with one arm, picked up the baby bag with the other and went outside to the car, with Ben resting his head on his mother's shoulder.