Chapter Eight | Another Birth

"What's happening?" Nathen asked, while Stephanie was rocking Ben back and forth. "The doctor's s-s-say that the baby isn't g-g-getting enough oxygen..." James said worriedly. He couldn't even bare the sound of the words leaving his mouth. "I need to go back in there." He said and then Nathen put a hand on his shoulder. "Have faith," Nathen said to him and smiled warmly. James nodded and headed back into the room. You could see the baby turning blue. The doctors were going through the process more quickly and Mirabelle was breathing through a tube, asleep.

The doctors carefully made a 'bikini cut' into Mirabelle, horizontally, and gently parted her abdominal muscles. Once the doctors finished cutting into her uterus, they gently took the baby out, cutting the umbilical cord and suctioning the baby's mouth and nose. The baby was still blue and the doctors pumped its' chest to get it breathing, with James watching contently. Once the baby was breathing again, a nurse picked up the baby and went to another room to clean it while the doctors stitched up Mirabelle's stomach and made sure she was okay. James stayed near Mirabelle, watching for any signs of her waking up. Mirabelle, slowly, opened her eyes. The doctors had said the anesthesia would only last but a few minutes anyway.

"How do you feel, love?" James asked, smiling and feeling fortunate that she and their baby was okay. "Sick...." She said, with a groggy feeling in her stomach. "How's our baby?" Mirabelle asked. A nurse walked back into the room, gently carrying the baby, whose cheeks were rosy and was wrapped in a soft, pink blanket. The nurse carefully handed Mirabelle the baby and the new parents caressed and admired their new baby. Mirabelle softly glided her hand over her baby's-- now-- clean head. Stephanie and Nathen quietly walked in, with Stephanie holding Ben in her arms. Ben was resting his head on his mother's shoulder, since it had gotten late and he took a nap while waiting, though he slightly perked up at the sight at the newborn baby.

"She's so adorable..." Stephanie said softly. The baby had royal blue eyes, a few, tiny reddish-brown curls and salmon pink lips. "What will you name her?" Nathen asked, admiring the baby as much as anyone else in the room. Mirabelle and James seemed to really ponder the question. "How about," Mirabelle began. "Cerise." James beamed at the sound of the name. "Cerise is beautiful. With an 's' or a 'c?'" He asked. Mirabelle chuckled softly. "Darling Cerise Alston, with a 'c.'" Stephanie and Nathen beamed. "Say hi to Cerise, Ben," Stephanie said, bouncing him up and down and gesturing to Cerise. Ben burbled and gurgled, kicking his legs a little and the adults laughed. Stephanie and Nathen said that they had to go and that they would see each other soon, leaving.